Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Apple Pie Drink

Options
I'm going to make a batch of apple pie drink for the tailgate tomorrow before the Badgers game.  I've done it before once, but couldn't find the specific recipe I used, so I looked online for a basic recipe and decided to use this - 

1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
7 cinnamon sticks
4 cups sugar
1 litre Everclear

I question I have looking at this is - 4 cups sugar??  Seems like a lot.  

I'd like to substitute the sugar with dark brown sugar, but not 4 cups of it.  I was thinking maybe 2 cups (?).

Has anyone else made this and have suggestions?  I was also going to put in some whole cloves with the cinnamon sticks, but I'm not sure how much to put it, so that will be an experiment.  After everything is done boiling I was also going to dump in some vanilla extract.

Any suggestions are welcome...
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would substitute the ever clear for something else. Apple cider and crown go well together.
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    I've made the same thing or at least similar for the last five or six years. Good taste and pretty strong. Here's what I've done:

1/2 gallon juice
    1/2 gallon cider
    4 cinnamon sticks
    1 whole clove
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 cups everclear
    2 cups vanilla vodka 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Damn... vanilla vodka... Didn't even think about that.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is the one that usually appears at the Florida Fests.  Tastes great.

Beverage, Apple Pie Moonshine, Rib Bones

INGREDIENTS:
    1 gallon Apple Cider
    1 gallon Apple Juice
    3 cups Sugar
    6 Cinnamon Sticks (I sprinkled with additional cinnamon for good measure)
    1 750 ml Bottle Ever Clear Grain Alcohol (or Moonshine if you've got it!)

PROCEDURE:

1. Bring apple cider, apple juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Cool

2. completely and add moonshine or grain alcohol. Be careful....this is more potent

3. than it tastes!

4. Note: We served this chilled......but imagine it would be great heated.

Recipe Type: Beverage, Cocktail

Source
    Author: Rick & Jen Bostain
    Source: Sunshine State Florida Fest '11, Rib Bones, 2011/04/09

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Apple Pie

1/2 C per Quart of Brown Sugar.  
    1 full stick cinnamon per jar.  
    1/2 Gallon Cider
    1/2 Gallon Juice
    (4) 1000 mL Shine ...1000 mL is just under a Quart, close enough.

You can find cinnamon in the Mexican food aisle for $2 vs. $7 in the spice aisle at your local grocer.  

Disolve sugar in juice&cider with cinnamon sticks over low heat.  Turn heat off.
    Cool.  
    Add shine.
    Bottle with stick in jar.
    Rest 2-3 weeks as favors merry.

PSA:  Do not heat shine on the stove.  It will evaporate at 174 degrees (before water boils).  The vapors are heavier than air and will evaporate off, sink below the pot, and ignite like gasoline.  

Only add the shine once your base liquid is cooled.  If you add the shine while it's hot you'll lose Proof in the Apple Pie.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Lit
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Apple Pie

1/2 Gallon Cider
    1/2 Gallon Juice

You can find cinnamon in the Mexican food aisle for $2 vs. $7 in the spice aisle at your local grocer.  

Disolve sugar in juice&cider with cinnamon sticks over low heat.  Turn heat off.
    Cool.  
    Add shine.

PSA:  Do not heat shine on the stove.  It will evaporate at 174 degrees (before water boils).  The vapors are heavier than air and will evaporate off, sink below the pot, and ignite like gasoline.  

Only add the shine once your base liquid is cooled.  If you add the shine while it's hot you'll lose Proof in the Apple Pie.

I think you mean the ethnic food isle? I wish they called it the Mexican aisle though I would make my Puerto Rican wife walk down it all the time. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Everclear is nasty.  Use a decent vodka.
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Lit. No I meant Mexican...

In my local grocery store there are signs for Kosher, Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc. 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    RedSkip said:
    Apple Pie

1/2 Gallon Cider
    1/2 Gallon Juice

Cool.  
    Add shine.

I think you mean the ethnic food isle? I wish they called it the Mexican aisle though I would make my Puerto Rican wife walk down it all the time. 
    They actually call it the Mexican aisle at my local grocery and that aisle is where I get most of my Thai seasonings.  Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The cinnamon is always way too strong whenever I have it. Personally, I'd cut down on the cinnamon and just let it sit for a while. Then add more if needed.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Lit
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Lit. No I meant Mexican...

In my local grocery store there are signs for Kosher, Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc. 
    that's awesome. 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Hell of a waste of good shine, I say! :s
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I have to drive from MN to Wisconsin to get Everclear for pie. Lame MN doesn't carry anything that strong
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Lemon Drops are good too.

1 lemon per quart shine
    1/2 C sugar quart shine

drink
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA