Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Packers on the XL

Options
Alright folks.  Doing these thursday night for an event at the kids' school on Friday evening.  4-12# pretrimmed packers.  Just tested for fit and all 4 will fit but just barely.  I'll post pics of the setup once I start the cook.  Top rack will have a bit of overhang but will hang over the bottom packers so it shouldn't be an issue.  I'll place some drip foil ball elevated pans beneath and foil any exposed or thinner parts to prevent overcooking and drying out.

My question is this...does anyone think I need to account for a longer overall cook time since it is larger quantity of meat?  I know that each one can finish differently etc but anyone think I need to account for more than 18 hours in a worse case scenario?  Almost every brisket I've ever cooked has been in the 12-16 hour range.  I've done a packer and a butt together and the times for each stayed consistent with every other time i've done them separately.  Any insight is appreciated.  
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Time should remain consistent with regular one at a time. When the cook begins it may take a bit longer to reach desired pit temp only due to the initial thermal shock of cold product. Once the pit temp balances back out it'll be similar to any other cook. I've done 2 & 3 packers on my LG with no issue in regards to "time". Each cut will finish at different rates just like anything you'll want to go off of feel and IT. Good luck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Thx, Husker
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I disagree. When I have loaded up my XL with meat the time is about 25% longer than a single piece of meat. I have done 4-6 butts a number of times and it's always a few hours longer than a single or 2 butts would be. Maybe it has to do with airflow, but I imagine it will take longer.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy I saw the OP "specifically" said XL. I was just giving my experience with similar circumstances using the LG which other than thermal mass shouldn't technically be any different..... Maybe the initial thermal shock takes longer to recover on the XL :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy I saw the OP "specifically" said XL. I was just giving my experience with similar circumstances using the LG which other than thermal mass shouldn't technically be any different..... Maybe the initial thermal shock takes longer to recover on the XL :peace: 
    Maybe, I don't know. Maybe the butts were touching each other more than brisket would
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    When you put the briskets on compress each briskets so it has a smaller foot print.