Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Wings for the 1st time today.... Damn good!

Options
Lowflyer
Lowflyer Posts: 785
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have never heard of these much less had any until today in Carrollton, Ga. Was blown away. Assuming deep fried like a chicken wing and sauced.  They were great. Anyone made these? Recipes?  Sorry no pics....damn good tho

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dayum. Those look so good. Raised direct? What type of smoke? Love the use of the mini too.  B)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    @Chubbs you a lil tipsy?? No pics here, I ate the damn things and didn't cook them
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have had these in a bar and they were really good.  I think they are the smaller bone from a pork shank.   I asked how they made them and they told me they come in from a food service place pre-smoked, and then they deep fry and sauce them.  

I did some googlin' and these seem to be the most common:
    http://smokenfast.com/portfolio/kc-wild-wings/

I have only seen them on Amazon so far and they are crazy expensive. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    RD  might get or have them. Farmland/Smithfield "invented" or marketed them. Maybe 6 years ago
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    @Chubbs you a lil tipsy?? No pics here, I ate the damn things and didn't cook them
    It was a poor attempt a humor. 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I had something similar at a place in Golden Colorado called Buffalo Rose's. They were fantastic. So was all of the Coors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:

I thought it was d@mn funny myself. good to see you back posting regularly. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Lowflyer said:
    My bad @Chubbs thought u were on the wrong post. Wish I had pics. Those things were great, I'm just a lil hesitant at deep frying when I almost burned down my old house when I had the grease too hot and threw in (1) chicken wing to test how hot it was. Very ugly sight. 
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    I have had these in a bar and they were really good.  I think they are the smaller bone from a pork shank.   I asked how they made them and they told me they come in from a food service place pre-smoked, and then they deep fry and sauce them.  

I did some googlin' and these seem to be the most common:
    http://smokenfast.com/portfolio/kc-wild-wings/

I have only seen them on Amazon so far and they are crazy expensive. 
    Thank you sir
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    Chubbs said:
    Lowflyer said:
    My bad @Chubbs thought u were on the wrong post. Wish I had pics. Those things were great, I'm just a lil hesitant at deep frying when I almost burned down my old house when I had the grease too hot and threw in (1) chicken wing to test how hot it was. Very ugly sight. 
    No worries. I use my thermopen to test the oil. Once it hits 325 or so I lower heat some and let it creep up to 350. Smoking then deep frying wings gives you best of both worlds. 
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Thanks @Chubbs , I always wondered if I could use my thermopen to check hot oil. Never have, will now. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @lowflyer was the grease too hot or did the wing maybe have some water on it? I threw a handful of fries in once and they had some ice particles on them and that was enough to make the oil boil over. Luckily I was using a deep fryer so no fire issues but a lot of hot oil to clean up. I did those Indian onion fritter things posted here recently last weekend and found they came out better with the oil in the 425 range and didn't have any issues frying at 425. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Lowflyer I really don't like deep frying at home either.  I just don't like dealing with stinking up the house and cleaning/storing the oil.  I have done some deep frying on one of those counter top induction burners and that worked pretty well.  

I found this recipe/vid and he heated them on the smoker so I don't think they have to be deep fried. 
    http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=2433

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I first had these in a restaurant about 10 years ago.  After some searching I found a butcher who ordered them for me. They are available currently from Sysco and come in 2/4 oz pieces 2 or 4 oz pieces cooked or uncooked.  I get the 4 oz cooked and marinate for a day or so and then cook indirect 350 for 25-30 minutes.  serve with bbq sauce.  GREAT Appiteasers.
    Label on last box I got from Sysco says Smoke'n Fast KC wild wings  bone in pork shanks. 3/12 pc pkgs cooked, forget the price, but reasonable. I have never seen them in a regular meat market or grocery store. Good Luck!

Appetizer, Florida Sunshine State Leprechaun Wings '10, Pork Wings, Richard Fl

Leprechaun Wings are made from Leprechaun Shanks that are trimmed leaving just the smaller single bone surrounded with lean tender pork meat to make fresh Leprechaun Wings.  Leprechaun Wings are a new rival of turkey legs and chicken wings. Leprechaun Wings are often served with a sweet and spicy sauce. The great thing about Leprechaun Wings is that they have more meat on them and are easier to eat than chicken wings. Hot or mild Leprechaun Wings,
    We called them Leprechaun Wings 'cause my co-cooker is Irish and St Patty's Day was close by.

PROCEDURE:

1. These wings, (The small bone from a pork shank), were ordered pre-cooked. They were defrosted, rinsed and placed in a BBQ chili lime marinade for 48 hours in the refrigerator. For the cook they were cooked indirect at 350°F for 25-30 minutes and pulled when they reached 155°F-160°F. Sauceing is an option.

2. BBQ slow-cooked mini Leprechaun Wings are a full meal.

3. Prepare Leprechaun Wings barbecue (low heat). Grill Leprechaun Wings until crusty and crisp and cooked thoroughly, basting with Leprechaun Wing  We called them Leprechaun Wings 'cause my co-cooker is Irish and St Patty's Day was close by.

Yield: 120 Servings, Each Piece  2-3 Ozs

Recipe Type: Appetizer

Tips
    These were special ordered from the Hatfield Meat Company in Hatfield, PA. They are called reebiz. In five years I have only been able to find them at commercial sources and in a few restaurants. Several restaurant suppliers have them here in the southeast. Have yet to see them in a grocery store in the meat section.

Source
    Author: Richard Howe
    Source: Sunshine State Fest '10, Richard Fl, 2010/03/13

Author Notes

• Lowflyer
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'll ask my butcher if he has or can get. 
    @Lit I had my turkey fryer on my deck blazing hot like a dumba$$ and threw in a single wing, prob was damp w water and it started a sh!t storm like no other. Grease fire couldn't be put out. Tried putting the lid on it but the handle from the basket allowed oxygen to get in. Used fire extinguisher, but it was a terrible mess. Only time I deep fry is w small amt of oil in my Dutch oven on top of the Egg, works great for shrimp, fish and hush puppies. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Lowflyer are you still using the Butcher's Market on 92?  Let me know what they say.  I might be in for a pack or two as well if they get them.   

• Lowflyer
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt , I don't get by there that much since moving, but I may go over there and ask. Place called Mitch's Meats and Fish in Roswell I want to check out as well. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    When I fitst started reading the first thing that came to mind was pig ears.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Just saw these on Triple D, they looked incredible.  They were started raw in the smoker for about 30 min then battered and deep fried.  Sure wish these were easier to come by, they look like fun for all kinds of different sauces.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Skeptical 3rd World Kid - So let me get this straight Because of me you had to finish your dinner
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site