Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tip Top Temp Controller and a brisket (a few pics)

Options
First up-I have always run w/o any controllers as I spent many a sleep interrupted night learning how to dial it in. (Helps to be old as the interruptions were not BGE related:) ). @RRP mentioned the TTT - got one this past week and for the $ ($30) it is all you need.  Held temp w/in 20*F and just let the cook cruise along.  It quickly responds to opening the dome and the given temp drop with the influx of air but recovers in short order.  
Ran a brisket cook as the initial test run and the bottom-line is "it works".  FWIW-

And the fork placement was intentional.  :)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    How do you set the temp with it?   Also, how do you have it attached to the egg? 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Brisket looks good Cap!!  How was the bottom vent set?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Following up to @blind99 and @Mattman3969 - Regarding attaching to the BGE, included with the purchase is a piece of silicon tape that you wrap around the chimney and TTT.  Then use the included band to hold it all in place.  Their website (http://tiptoptemp.com/) gives more detail. 
    Regarding setting the temp, I dialed in my desired temp (around 250*F) using my normal bottom vent and DFMT settings.  Once stable, I replaced the DFMT with the TTT.  Set the dial at #5 and watched to see how things would go.  Basically left the setting there for the whole time. 
    In addition to the info about setting temp on the website, they send along a more detailed table and explanation.  Unfortunately there are inconsistencies in what is provided so I just picked the middle setting and it worked out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Following up to @blind99 and @Mattman3969 - Regarding attaching to the BGE, included with the purchase is a piece of silicon tape that you wrap around the chimney and TTT.  Then use the included band to hold it all in place.  Their website (http://tiptoptemp.com/) gives more detail. 
    Regarding setting the temp, I dialed in my desired temp (around 250*F) using my normal bottom vent and DFMT settings.  Once stable, I replaced the DFMT with the TTT.  Set the dial at #5 and watched to see how things would go.  Basically left the setting there for the whole time. 
    In addition to the info about setting temp on the website, they send along a more detailed table and explanation.  Unfortunately there are inconsistencies in what is provided so I just picked the middle setting and it worked out. 
    when you get temps dialed in, put the temp controller on top, open the dial til the flapper is just barely touching closed, and open the lower vent by a third or more, then tune in the controller and it will hold all night
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'll have to take a look at that.  Brisket sure looks great
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @fishlessman- thanks for the tutorial.  Makes sense to me.  I will go that route on the next low&slow.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Back when I bought my TTT they were not including that piece of tape, but seeing I use a SmokeWare I merely put my TTT inside the neck and it stays put.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When I pray to brisket Gods, I think I now know who it is that ignores me ;) Mighty fine looking grub brother. Glad that you like the new controller my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH- you have forgotten more about brisket than I will ever know.  But it turned out real well and again cooked at around 0.75 hrs/lb -with about 260+/- on the dome.  Don't know about these hi-speed cows these days.  Maybe been communicating with the buffalo?  ;)
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options