Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The heat is on...smoking peppers (a few pics)

Options
A friend had some pepper plants that overproduced.  I was gifted a load of carolina reapers (first time messing with those), some habaneros and one lone wolf ghost pepper.  Cut off the stems and split to reduce the smoke time.  Gloves for sure.  
Now four hours in (and the LBGE is humming along at around 160-170*F-no controller).  It's been a few years since I tried to run at this dome temp, but all is well.  So, if you want to run real low and slow give it a go.  Posting now as I may be over-served by the time this is finished.  Smells great, BTW.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Be careful with those "reapers"!!!.  Smoked super hots are great, if they're complete dry grind to powder and add a pinch to your rubs, really spice things up.  I grow Trinidad Scorpions, Fatallis and 7 Pots. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    @logchief- thanks for the heads-up as I am in new territory with those.  I was gonna go one level habaneros and one carolina but figured the heat is so overpowering that I will just smoke til dry and then grind the whole mess together.  This quantity of dried heat may exceed the time I have left on the planet.  BTW-after doing the prep work in the kitchen I have been told the grinding process will be performed outdoors.
    I still have a stand-alone supply of dried habaneros so I am good that way.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    Options
    I do my grinding in the garage or outside with a dust mask using a little cheapo coffee grinder from amazon and latex gloves.  

Don't let your wife reuse it for coffee or you'll pay dearly, you just have to sacrifice it.

I would grind the habs and the reapers separate.  You're looking at 125 K scoville units for the orange habs to a record 2.1 M for the reapers.  Obviously varies by growing conditions.

I love a sprinkle on a steak before hitting the grill, grilling does tone down the heat a bit but still get the flavor.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks again for the heads-up.  I already have a sacrificial grinder at the ready.  In theory I'm with you on separating the heat and will see if I can distinguish once thru the smoking process.  Am using pecan wood as suggested for jalas but at this level I doubt it makes any difference.  Gonna be a hot time in the old town soon  =)
  • logchief
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks again for the heads-up.  I already have a sacrificial grinder at the ready.  In theory I'm with you on separating the heat and will see if I can distinguish once thru the smoking process.  Am using pecan wood as suggested for jalas but at this level I doubt it makes any difference.  Gonna be a hot time in the old town soon  =)
    Yes Sir!!  By the way thanks the many years of service to USA in submarines.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm watching closely, I have a bag of habs in the freezer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As mentioned, I have not been down into this temperature range since the last time I did this cook-and that was straight up habaneros.  I am now nine hours in and still cruising along.  If not at the finish-line (sounds like a brisket cook:)) by around midnight (EDT) I will just let it run (unsupervised) til the AM and see what I have.
    BTW-congrats on surviving the brisket camp-great food, entertainment and camaraderie .   Better to be lucky than good any day.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Call the fire department. ..
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @logchief- thanks for the acknowledgement.  I did have too much fun with that gig but it is a young man's game and now I am just trying to enjoy the life with the BGE.  And tonight-a high heater...that I will likely live to regret in the AM and beyond.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here we are 12 hours in and all systems go.  The LBGE is still locked in around 170*F.  Too bad all the good L&S cooks don't work at this temp :).

Gonna let in run unsupervised for the duration. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How did these turn out Cap?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • logchief
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @logchief- thanks for the acknowledgement.  I did have too much fun with that gig but it is a young man's game and now I am just trying to enjoy the life with the BGE.  And tonight-a high heater...that I will likely live to regret in the AM and beyond.
    Retirement's great with the BGE, growing peppers, traveling and my bride, spent 40 yrs. with the Forest Service in Fire and Aviation.  

Those are looking like they're starting to get crispy.  I've never done them in the BGE but the dehydrator usually takes about 12 hrs. 

• lousubcap
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Update-Let run unsupervised thru the night and at 7 AM (EDT) the LBGE was still humming along at around 220*F on the dome.  Visual (based on doing this with habaneros and jalas)  said "more time".  Went to work and just let it run.  Got home around  6 PM and the temp was down below the 150*F mark but still trying to keep things warm.  Visual test and the fact that I still had some lump said-salvage operation.  So refired the whole operation and still cruising at around 200*F.  Evening meeting schedule means I won't be chopping these til Weds PM-but I'm not worried about any critters messing with the cook.  Thanks for asking.  
    Edit: I think the moisture retention properties of the BGE contribute the long-duration drying process.
    Still smells great-
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice recap. Thank you. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow!  Long cook but as stated egg properties are contrary to drying. Still want to see the fiery finish!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Damn Lou, never figured you for a chilihead! Awesome!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Did 8 lbs of red jalapenos a few years back and after all was said and done ground them and the yield was 4 ozs.  Used a Krup grinder which I only use for spices and when done I place some uncooked rice in the bowl and it cleans up whatever flavor I just ran.  Have gone thru 2 grinders in 15 years.  It gets used about once a week for spices.  nice looking spice smoking job.
    Try rimming a bloody mary or margarita glass with a little chile pepper ground for a flavor sensation.

http://www.krupsusa.com/f20342-fast-touch-black

• lousubcap
    Options
    For the finish-here's a shot when the LBGE fire is coasting to a stop.  And a finger-wave says I am likely venturing into territory I should probably avoid.  Looks like I'm gonna be set for several years :).  Didn't break out the backlighting as I'm not big into pics.  Fun cook-

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This sounds awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL