Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Necessity the mother of.....

Options
Tired of using tongs and various tools to lift out the Platesetter during cooks. Burned myself 1 to many times. Made something until I decide between the CGS PSWoo2 or AR. 
I use the river stones to keep my drip pans raised and scorching. 
Fort Worth, TX      
LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I have seen a solid arm lever to lift the platesetter. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The claw and others. Nice idea. 
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    Nice!
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looks good ... nice MacGyver solution ... any indication of the possibility for slippage?

Why four river rocks?  One stone is probably never touching the drip pan.  Three stones - like the legs on a stool - will firmly support your drip pan.

If you already have the BGE plate setter and it looks like you use it.  Thus, seriously consider the PSWoo2.  The investment cost is relatively small.  You don't need an extra tool for removing the plate setter ... the PSWoo2 does that more safely. The legs on the plate setter provide great flame protection for the dome thermometer and any temp probe leads that you use.  Plus, the normal BGE cooking grill yields more space than the truncated oval grills on the AR.  The simplicity of the PSWoo2 arrangement is better for most cooks.  Most times I'm cooking for two, but if I need more room, when guests are eating, then an elevated rack is added ... firebricks and a small grill or the CGS extension and their 16" grill.

I have a large egg set up with the PSWoo2 and a second one with a complete AR.  I find myself using the PSWoo2 equipped egg the majority of the time ... three to four times as much as the AR equipped egg. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Love it, been thinking of making one like that. 
    @Jeepster47 -IMO the weight on the hooks should prevent slippage, unless something hit a hook sideways outward.  
    We use this for lifting loaded hot dish from a steaming wok, works like a charm...

canuckland
  • TXsmokin
    Options
    Looks good ... nice MacGyver solution ... any indication of the possibility for slippage?

Why four river rocks?  One stone is probably never touching the drip pan.  Three stones - like the legs on a stool - will firmly support your drip pan.

If you already have the BGE plate setter and it looks like you use it.  Thus, seriously consider the PSWoo2.  The investment cost is relatively small.  You don't need an extra tool for removing the plate setter ... the PSWoo2 does that more safely. The legs on the plate setter provide great flame protection for the dome thermometer and any temp probe leads that you use.  Plus, the normal BGE cooking grill yields more space than the truncated oval grills on the AR.  The simplicity of the PSWoo2 arrangement is better for most cooks.  Most times I'm cooking for two, but if I need more room, when guests are eating, then an elevated rack is added ... firebricks and a small grill or the CGS extension and their 16" grill.

I have a large egg set up with the PSWoo2 and a second one with a complete AR.  I find myself using the PSWoo2 equipped egg the majority of the time ... three to four times as much as the AR equipped egg. 
    The pull of only 3 directions keeps the hooks facing correctly and they are bent to fit tightly around the platesetter. Always worried about that though.

Tried 3 stones, and since they are not level, had a drip pan tilt and empty on to the fire. Some bad smoke. 4 kept that from happening. The drip pan was a disposable baking sheet, so the shape worked better with 4. Picking up copper tees from HD today to solve that until Nov. 

I'll be in Dallas in early Nov and was stopping by CGS in Denton. Figured I'd get some hands on with the different setups, but already leaning towards the Pswoo2. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    TXsmokin said:

Tried 3 stones, and since they are not level, had a drip pan tilt and empty on to the fire. Some bad smoke. 4 kept that from happening. The drip pan was a disposable baking sheet, so the shape worked better with 4. ...

I'll be in Dallas in early Nov and was stopping by CGS in Denton. Figured I'd get some hands on with the different setups, but already leaning towards the Pswoo2. 
    Okay, now I understand why four stones.

Nothing like hands on to understand what things are about.  Look at the stainless drip pans that Tom sells ... I use those exclusively with HD aluminum foil to assure easy clean up. 

Also, look at the spider.  Again, a really under appreciated, inexpensive appliance that is a great help.  For searing steaks just off the coals (legs up) it can't be beat.  Or for getting the CI to the correct temp (legs down) for pan fried chicken it's perfect.  It works good for wok cooking ... at least that's what I'm told.

Oh yes, and you'll want to look at a pizza stone if you don't have one.  Heavy enough that they're expensive to ship ... but, while you're there, and they're so reasonable, and you have one in hand ... why not?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max