Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket a Bit Dry

Options
fishindoc
fishindoc Posts: 212
First brisket was last week. ..275 indirect.  Took it to about 205 degrees  (got stuck at work a few minutes longer than planned). The flavor was amazing but it was dry imo. Should I inject with beef broth or is the meat quality really the difference? This brisket was from Sam's. ..I wanted to practice with 7.50/# not 15. 

Comments

• JohnnyMims
    Options
    I've read that some will wrap it in Butcher paper after you get your bark looking like you want it to. Then it will retain some moisture, but also allow for some movement of air through so that it does not get the bark soggy. Others will say to wrap in foil after you get the bark where you want it. This will definitely retain more moisture, but might impact the bark. Any thought out there on pulling it off at a little lower temp? 195 maybe? 
    LBGE - Kansas City, MO
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Sounds overdone.

if you were at work, nothing could be done, but start probing at 190* and when it's like butter in the thickest point of the flat, pull it-it's done.

specific IT doesn't really work for brisket
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Start probing earlier. Point only cooks are a little tricky. Make sure you cut across the grain and that helps too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Lots of variables all the way down to the meat quality. Sounds like u are in a high price area like me....sucks huh.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Always have gravy at the ready.

As said,  probe earlier.
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Ok..thanks everyone!  2nd try will be on my day off :)
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    Try pulling it when it reaches 185-190 internally.  I've found that to be the best temp range for pulling briskets.  Also, I wrap them in two layers of heavy duty foil and place it in a cooler for at least 40 minutes.  Hope that helps!