Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ebay Winner - Basic Stoker Wifi - Stoker Owner Questions

Options
I apparently was the highest bidder for Rocks BBQ Wifi Stoker. No big thrills as it's just the Stoker unit. The seller is keeping the other accessories. Which is fine as I paid almost half of what a new Stoker unit itself would cost. I have a fan from my Auber Instruments pit contoller I can use for the stoker. 

I will probably buy some new temperature probes as my Aubers are looking a little sad. So my question is, how often do you guys reference to the LED portion of the temperature probes? I can probably find some basic probes without the LEDS for much cheaper. Is it a must have for checking alarms and blower or more less of a gimmick and could do without them?  Thanks for the time!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Never.  I guess I look at the LED's when I first plug everything in but it's just looking to make sure they light up and are recognized by the system.  After that I'm doing most of the controlling from my computer in my house.

I have no idea how the sensors work so if you end up making your own I'd love to see how.  In the WIFI web setup you'll see that each probe has a unique ID.  I don't know how that ID would be generated if you're making your own.  Maybe the manufacturer is putting those in and not Rock's?  No idea.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    @jimithing Thanks for the insight. I wonder if that will be an issue with transferring data back to the controller. Didn't think of that. I guess I can try it once it comes in and see what happens with my old probes. $40 seems pretty spendy for a single probe through them. I'd like to look elsewhere for a cheaper alternative if possible 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Check this out. I repair my probes when needed. Not much to it. I also live just west of you in Big Lake. Let me know if you need anything
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180672/make-or-repair-your-stoker-pit-probes#latest

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• WeberWho
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @bigguy136 Do you have any 3rd party apps for your phone that work with the Stoker? I've seen some apps on the Naked Whiz site but was wondering which one you might use. Can you control the Stoker from your phone or is strictly just a monitor? I've been searching around for the last hour for an answer but haven't had much luck.  I can't even recall the last time I've opened my laptop. 95% of everything I do web related is through my phone at home. It would be slick to adjust the Stoker through an app but not entirely sure it's possible. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @WeberWhoI don't know if you visited the page below already but here is a listing of some options, including apps for android and iphone:

https://rocksbarbque.com/Applications.html

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• WeberWho
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Much appreciated! @mahenryak

I looked at them today and what would be available for Android but couldn't find much information about controlling the temperature from an Android phone. The summaries were pretty brief in the descriptions. I've kind of put the cart before the horse in this situation. :o

Minnesota