Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choice Packer

Options
feef706
feef706 Posts: 853
edited October 2015 in Beef
My plan is to attempt my first brisket this weekend. Not many places sell packers by me but since it's my first im trying to keep it on the cheaper end. Someone recommended angus brisket from SAMs, but mine doesn't carry brisket. My wal-mart (I know, satan mart to some, but my choices are slim) had choice for $2.96 per lb. 

How does choice turn out versus better packers in anyone's experience.

Thanks for your time. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    feef706 said:
    In a head to head shoot out, it will usually lose to Wagyu and Prime in most peoples opinion. However when cooked properly, a choice brisket is still a real treat. Not oh so long ago, it was what most folks were cooking. Including most of the Brisket Gods. Its been only in the last decade that Prime and Wagyu exploded in popularity. A good choice brisket is certainly better than no brisket at all.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chadpsualum
    Options
    SGH said:
    feef706 said:
    In a head to head shoot out, it will usually lose to Wagyu and Prime in most peoples opinion. However when cooked properly, a choice brisket is still a real treat. Not oh so long ago, it was what most folks were cooking. Including most of the Brisket Gods. Its been only in the last decade that Prime and Wagyu exploded in popularity. A good choice brisket is certainly better than no brisket at all.
    That is a great answer and at least by me...appreciated.  These types of questions often lead to pretentious answers but not this one.  And I think the last line says it all..."A good choice brisket is certainly better than no brisket at all."
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a Walmart choice packer.  As a matter of fact, my last packer, which was probably one of my best, was a Walmart packer, but SELECT grade!  

Don't trim much if at all, any fat.  You'll need that protection. Many trim a lot off, but they have more marble within from a better grade.  You can also use un-coated butcher paper to help keep moisture within plus breath to not compromise your bark.  You'll want to wrap the brisket after it comes out of the stall.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • feef706
    Options
    Thanks all, glad to hear nothing wrong with choice. Also thanks for the tips.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Great price on choice!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • feef706
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well my father in law insisted on picking up a brisket from his favorite meat store about an hour north from where I live, butcher wasn't familiar with the term packer but once he told him whole brisket, he said oh yea I've got those for $2 per lb. Turns out it was $2.65 plus 10% so roughly $2.91 per lb pre-tax, and it's select.... A little disappointed since I could have paid a few cents more for choice. It's also a little larger than I hoped for, may have to raise the center with a rib rack to get her on the LBGE. We shall see how she does for me on my first try.