Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump load?

Options
Spent the afternoon cleaning out the eggs after a Thanksgiving weekend where the eggs saw constant duty.   Got me thinking...how full does everyone fill their eggs with lump?

I've always filled to the top of the fire ring on my Large.   This allows me to place my plate setter in an inverted position on my ring without it touching the lump. 

Am I wasting lump?  Should I fill "less"?

I should add that I normally use my large bge for larger cooks...as I have the MMax for smaller ad hoc cooking. 

Insight would be appreciated.   What do you do, and why?

Large BGE
MMax BGE
Weber gasser
3 Dogs
No neighbours 
Living in Canada's bush

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You can fill it up or only put a few cups in......as long as you regulate the airflow, then shut it down, you're going to burn the exact same amount.

Just like if your car's gas tank is full or almost empty, all other factors being equal (weight, speed, etc.) you're going to burn the same amount.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanksgiving weekend :confused: 
    Back to the OP question. L&S I'll fill it up to the point the lump and wood chunks almost touch the PS. Pizza, steaks, burgers, etc less fuel. Otherwise it kinda depends on what's being cooked. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanksgiving weekend :confused: 
    Yeah...we Canadians try and stay ahead of the curve....
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ahhh Canadian. That explains it :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Sometimes i balance the PS on the lump ;)
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    You can fill it up or only put a few cups in......as long as you regulate the airflow, then shut it down, you're going to burn the exact same amount.

Just like if your car's gas tank is full or almost empty, all other factors being equal (weight, speed, etc.) you're going to burn the same amount.
    slt said it right, the longer the cook the more you need, but you'll always have the leftovers for next time.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    For me the next cook determines the lump load (starting with an empty LBGE for the sake of the story).  If hot and fast (direct or raised direct) I will likely load based on the food to be cooked (grease release potential)-and not above the fire box.  If a L&S then up into the fire ring.  And once the LBGE is loaded then between cooks I will give all remaining an aggressive stir and reload as above.
    If doing a known long duration L&S (brisket comes to mind) then I will clean it out-fresh load of lump into the ring , pound the adult supervisory beverages and go from there. 
    Experiment and you will eventually settle on some factors to drive the load.  Remember-many roads will get you there.  Enjoy the journey-the best part of the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I cheat on my XL. Made the "lump reducer" out of expanded metal mesh, and fill it about 1/2 full.  Perfect for a 3 hour cook (potatoes & veggies) then searing steaks at 550, plus desert.   Close the damper and still have 2 big handfuls of lump the next day to use.  Even if I am doing a pulled pork butt for 10 hours, I don't need to fill up to the holes.  Top of fire ring would give me 24 hours of low and slow, which I would never need.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I cheat on my XL. Made the "lump reducer" out of expanded metal mesh, and fill it about 1/2 full.  Perfect for a 3 hour cook (potatoes & veggies) then searing steaks at 550, plus desert.   Close the damper and still have 2 big handfuls of lump the next day to use.  Even if I am doing a pulled pork butt for 10 hours, I don't need to fill up to the holes.  Top of fire ring would give me 24 hours of low and slow, which I would never need.
    For pork but you don't have to fill it up to the holes without the lump reducer or with the lump reducer?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Those lump reducing rings are only going to save you charcoal if you are searing something small (within it's diameter).

For anything else, you still need to heat the entire egg.  Whether you do that for a tall skinny mass in the middle, shallow layer covering the grate, or a completely full firebox; it still takes the same amount of BTU's.  Watch a XL on a low and slow......you'll see that sometimes charcoal on one half didn't even light off--the fire never made it over there.  I do like the idea of a basket like that for that reason alone--keeps the fire centered and from migrating over to the edge of the firebox.
  • littlerascal56
    Options

I really do it for the "sear" factor for my rib-eyes and fillets.  They go on the RH side, which has the large pieces of lump.  When I get the sear marks, move to the LH side (that has the ceramic 1/2 moon stone) with the veggies, corn, beans, and baked potatoes.

It's so easy to clean the next day, as I just move the ring around and the fine coals and powder fall thru the big holes in the grate.  Just leaves the good lump for the next time, and my hands stay clean.

Add new lump and a fire starter the next time, and ready to light.  Waaay too easy with this method, and your vent holes stay open for lots of air thru the lump.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Ahhh Canadian. That explains it :wink: 
    @NPHuskerFL it's Ohhh Canada, not Ahhh Canada. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @XC242 Don't be a hoser eh :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I freight it until I have to wiggle the platesetter to get it to lie flat. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.