Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant Ideas

Hello All! I've been lurking for awhile and This is my first post and i'm just looking for some advice from folks that are better at doing this than myself! I got to go Pheasant Hunting today and got 5 birds out of it...I'm looking for the best ways to cook it. I have an XLBGE and am wide open to any ideas! The birds were field dressed and were Breasted out. I currently have them in a Salt Water brine in my fridge...looking to cook them tomorrow night! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Mike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    this is really good, works with duck and turkey as well. adding frozen peas doest hurt either =)

Pheasant, Neuburg, Ripnem

You sold me on the idea. The freezer is awful full of Roodies at my place. *****Try this sometime:

INGREDIENTS:
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    green olives
    mushrooms (in a jar)
    bacon(BB is best)
    peperocinis
    hot sauce
    heavy whipping cream
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off.

Recipe Type
    Poultry, Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Ripnem, 2009/12/25

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    this is really good, works with duck and turkey as well. adding frozen peas doest hurt either =)

Pheasant, Neuburg, Ripnem

You sold me on the idea. The freezer is awful full of Roodies at my place. *****Try this sometime:

INGREDIENTS:
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    green olives
    mushrooms (in a jar)
    bacon(BB is best)
    peperocinis
    hot sauce
    heavy whipping cream
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off.

Recipe Type
    Poultry, Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Ripnem, 2009/12/25

Lucky enough to have Ripnem cook this at the Frozen Fest in MN 2 years ago.
    It was fantastic...Talk about a "cure", it has magical toxin removal powers.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thanks for the feedback guys! I live in bird country so i'll absolutely try this recipe out!
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I like the recipe above as well and have done something very similar how ever this is my favorite.  

Cut the breast into 1" or so chunks.  Wrap a slice a bacon around it, and toothpick it.  Grill until done.  You will poop your self they are so good.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Pheasant is FANTASIC! My absolute favorite game meat.

I've always cooked them extremely simply. Marinade in Italian dressing for an hour or so, cook raised-direct ~400 until done inside and crispy outside.

Congrats on the harvest and show us some pics when you're done!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • With this Batch i ended up Brining for a day than put BBQ Sauce on it (the wife is weird like that haha) Than i seared them at 550 Degrees. I let the Egg come down to about 275 and put the birds back on for about 35 minutes.

They came out pretty good and moist so that was a big plus! I didn't get any pictures since i was starving to death but i have 3 more in my fridge that i will get put into a brine tomorrow! 

@yumdinger I will def try that! I think i may go out and get a few more birds tomorrow so I can try all the ideas haha

@Black_Badger I tried the Italian Dressing last year during the bird season and it came out decent but i didn't have my egg than so i will have to try it again...I will def. take pictures this next time! 

Thanks again for the help!