Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Cooking Time

Options
I'm planning my first cook with me new BGE this weekend.  I'm cooking three 4lb pork shoulders.  I can't find an answer on how long cooking is going to take.  I know that it varies between 1.5 and 2.5 hours per pound.  What I don't know is if I base that on 4 pounds or on 12 pounds.  It is a big difference between 8 hours and 24 hours!  I need this ready for people to eat about 6pm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    As long as they are not all jammed together, base it on four lbs.  What temp are you cooking at? If you get behind on time you can always crank up the heat. It will still taste great.
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    And welcome to the forum and BGE cooking :)
    New Orleans LA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Four pounds seems small.  Is it boneless?  Is this a picnic or butt?  

Depends on your cooking time and meat really, but a good rule of thumb is to cook to temp not time.  Or, in my experience, cook when you can pull the bone out a little, if it has one.  

To answer your question though, at 250°-275° I'd say 1.5-1.75 hrs per pound, estimated.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2015
    Options
    First off Welcome to the Cluster Foxtort.  Have you done a test run on your new Egg, firing it up and playing with temp control.

For that size, cook them at 250 for 5-7 hours maybe a little more is all for a 4 lb'er.  Cook to 200 or so IT and prob.  If they're done early FTC and pull the pork then for a crowd pleaser.

Base it on the individual size of each piece and keep them separated.

Try the Memphis Dust rub recipie and sweet and sour cole slaw at amazingribs.com with it.

Butts are usually better for pulled pork than the shoulder, if you haven't already bought them.

Don't forget to post pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    easiest way to plan this is 11 hours and when they are done in 5 or 7 or more hours wrap in foil and put them in a small cooler until ready to serve. thats the easiest way to nail a time slot.  7to8 pounders always take about 14 for me but i cheat and modify cooking temps to suit that time frame and i always buy the same size. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    YMMV, I did a 9.34 lb Boston Butt in almost exactly 10 hrs  (to 200F  Internal temp)
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    What Fish said - however long the cook is planned, at 2-4 hours to give you some extra time.  If it is ready early, FTC (wrap it in foil, towels, and then keep it in a cooler).  Having it ready early is ok, you never want it to be ready late.

I second the opinions on 1.5 hours per lb at 250 or so.  Usually, my pulled pork is ready when internal temp hits 200-203 degrees.  The butt will probe with minimal resistance all over and the bone will slide out with no meat on it.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Listen to @fishlessman and you cannot fail

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG