Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Acting Funny

Options
The last couple weeks my Thermapen has been acting a little strange. When I go to check a reading the Thermapen will read really high and drop down fast to a number and finally reach a number.  It probably takes 6-7 seconds to get a reading.  It's never jumped to a high number and dropped down like that in the past. It still accurate as I did the boil test. Not as fast and accurate from 5-6 years ago. I'm going to try switching out the batteries but not even close to the 1500 hour battery life. I baby the Thermapen when not in use. Always stored safely in a drawer inside the house. Just seeing if any others have acted funny jumping around higher temps and dropping down? Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    mine has never done that, but sometimes it does seem to have a mind of its own....Ha.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The manual says there is a battery icon that displays when the batteries are low on voltage.  I never noticed this before but I'm on my original batteries. 

Options
    Mine just shuts off or doesn't turn on at all when opened to certain angles. At 3/4 of the way open it doesn't work at all. If I move the probe to fully open it turns on then. Always takes accurate temp when it's on though.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I don't think it's the battery but I guess I should start with basics. It's been great but it might be permanently stoned from all the smoke it's inhaled! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I don't think it's the battery but I guess I should start with basics. It's been great but it might be permanently stoned from all the smoke it's inhaled! =)
    A phone call to the Thermoworks might be worth your time.
    They have excellent customer service and really know the product.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho? said:
    A phone call to the Thermoworks might be worth your time.
    They have excellent customer service and really know the product.
    That's what I was thinking. I've only heard good things about Thermoworks. I'm going to pick up some batteries after work and see if it fixes the issue. Thanks for the suggestion Darian!

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2015
    Options
    WeberWho?  They were "real" good to me on my repair a few years ago.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas