Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing the gasket after just eight months

Options

I am a relative newbie, only having had my Egg since early Spring, and already have to replace the gasket...I am using this http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Gasket-Adhesive-Large-Kevlar/dp/B004MNW1TE

I am hopeful that this will last a lot longer! I don't do crazy high-heat cooks.  Never made a pizza, I sear around 700.  Sure, it has gone up a few times when I was not paying attention so is it just a quality thing? It is strange to me that given the cost of a new Egg they would use a crappy gasket.

Rant over.

Toronto ON

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    You should have contacted @RRP he would have hooked you up with the best gasket made.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

I haven't had gaskets on my three older Eggs for years.  You don't need them, just adjust the dome after removing the old gasket.  A little smoke escaped sometimes but I have no trouble holding low temps and long cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If it's inside of 1 year from purchase, the gasket is still under warranty. Talk to your dealer.

The other option is aftermarket. There are 3 big ones. Rutland, Nomex, and Cotronics are all used as high-heat gaskets.

My large is going on 3 years and I have had no issues with the original one. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your gasket lasted 8 months? Wow, that's pretty long!

I replaced mine with a Nomex gasket 4 years ago, and it is holding up very well.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If it's inside of 1 year from purchase, the gasket is still under warranty. Talk to your dealer.

The other option is aftermarket. There are 3 big ones. Rutland, Nomex, and Cotronics are all used as high-heat gaskets.

My large is going on 3 years and I have had no issues with the original one. 
    Mine too... These guys are letting the fire roll! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I replaced mine with the same one you bought.  It also fried :(.  To be fair I think part of this was installation error.  I left a slight gap where the 2 ends meet.  In hindsight I think air was escaping (or it was sucking air in) and created a hot spot and it continued to grow.  

Edit:
    I just noticed Hi-Q updated this in 2014 so it is not exactly what I used.  I got it in 2011 and I think it was nomex only.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Eight months? Mine lasted eight weeks! A widely known weak point. I installed a Rutland six years ago and have cooked all the way to 900* with no problem. It's a little dirty, but otherwise, good as new. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Eight months? Mine lasted eight weeks! A widely known weak point. I installed a Rutland six years ago and have cooked all the way to 900* with no problem. It's a little dirty, but otherwise, good as new. 
    That's funny. The gasket came off my Small BGE when I unpacked it. Pulled off with the saran wrap when it was new. Saved me an hour pulling it off as I already had the Rutland.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I took the original one off as soon as I  got the egg out of the box. Put on a Rutland from RRP and it's worked great.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Simcan said:

I am a relative newbie, only having had my Egg since early Spring, and already have to replace the gasket...I am using this http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Gasket-Adhesive-Large-Kevlar/dp/B004MNW1TE

I am hopeful that this will last a lot longer! I don't do crazy high-heat cooks.  Never made a pizza, I sear around 700.  Sure, it has gone up a few times when I was not paying attention so is it just a quality thing? It is strange to me that given the cost of a new Egg they would use a crappy gasket.

Rant over.

I used those in the past with great success.  I got a couple of years from the last one I installed.  When I got a replacement base I then took the opportunity to go the Rutland route.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat