Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asian Pork Belly

cmac610
cmac610 Posts: 146
Going to try my first Pork Belly on the Egg today. This recipe looks too damn good not to try a little slab.

http://www.cookwithme.at/66/asian-pork-belly/

The yummy little "squares" are cooling out and all rubbed up...more to come!

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That recipe sounds great.  Looking forward to seeing the results.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Standing by.  Looks outstanding so far.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THIS is why I love this forum!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Yeah, man! Looking forward to how this turns out. Just picked up some pork belly from Costco to make some bacon, but I'm going to have to go Asian with some of it after seeing this. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    On standby
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • cmac610
    3 hours in...now in to the bath for a couple more hours!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Color is amazing!  How did they taste? Any pics of them cut up?
  • cmac610
    Ok, finished product. The meat (and fat!) is meltingly delicious. But, the skin didn't crisp up as much as I would have liked. The sauce is really good as well. Good little treats. Next time I'll do some bacon.

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • Mouth... Watering...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • cmac610
    stv8r said:
    Color is amazing!  How did they taste? Any pics of them cut up?
    Tried to get a pic or two of them cut, but they actually look better whole. Gets a little messy trying to cut through the skin on these little guys!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Look at that colour
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Where did you get Asian pork?
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    That looks amazing. I had that at a Japanese restaurant in New York once. Where did you get the pork belly and how did it come packaged?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • cmac610
    CPARKTX said:
    That looks amazing. I had that at a Japanese restaurant in New York once. Where did you get the pork belly and how did it come packaged?
    My local butcher usually has belly in stock. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    I know I'm very late to this thread, but have been on the search for pork belly recipes and this looks wonderful.  Questions for @cmac610 : it doesn't look like you tied them up as suggested in the video/recipe - why not? And it also looks like they shrank almost 50% - is this correct?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• CPARKTX said:
    central market, whole foods and restaurant depot have it here. CM is the best. They have Berkshire belly for $8.99 lb. That's pricey compared to the RD belly but it is way better and already trimmed up.

sold in whole bellies or they will cut you whatever you want.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cmac610
    55Kevy said:
    I know I'm very late to this thread, but have been on the search for pork belly recipes and this looks wonderful.  Questions for @cmac610 : it doesn't look like you tied them up as suggested in the video/recipe - why not? And it also looks like they shrank almost 50% - is this correct?
    @55Kevy ...sorry, missed this one. I didn't tie because I felt they'd hold their own, which they did. And I don't think they shrank 50%...maybe a third?
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA