Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: wild boar

Options
stupid hogs have overtaken one of my deer leases. I caught two in my trap last weekend. A small boar and average size sow. Gonna smoke a shoulder on the egg tomorrow. Simply fried some backstrap tonight for a primer. 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

cool pics, thanks for sharing.  

I've never had wild boar.  Does it taste like regular pork, or is it really gamey?

Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I suppose they'll be great. If the deer were going to be food, and the hogs ate the deer food, they will bring all that feed back with the hog plus of great fat flavor. Maybe somewhat tough. If the boar was small, he may not have got to the point where the meat is best used for pepperoni.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I could go for a plate of that backstrap about now. It looks awesome. Nice catch brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Know anyone with a chopper?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89UliEiQQyU
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Focker said:
    That's what Jonathon does when he's not overseeing his Rockwood lump production! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Grub looks great. Your boys look a little unsure about what they are touching. :smiley: 

Just curious, do you need a license to trap those and is there a season? Or are they considered varmint and it's open season year round?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    We usually stick to smoking the smaller hogs and donate the large ones to the buzzards. I've smoked large hog legs and they've come out alright. But the small ones are better and a whole small pig will fit on the stick burner smoker. They are leaner and much more gamey than domestic pigs.

Around here, no license needed to hunt them (as far as I know, but I have a hunting license) and you can shoot them year round 24 hours a day, walking, driving, flying (license for commercially), spot light, knife, spear, with dogs, night vision, spot light, .22 short to a 50 cal, however you want. You can trap them if you want but I believe the law says any game traps must be checked every 24 hours. We run a couple of large traps where I hunt. You catch a lot of big ones to start, but then the older ones get smart and stay away from the traps so you only catch a bunch of small ones. Moving the traps around the property helps.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    We are starting to be overrun with them. The boar was small so I just cleaned him quick and let soak in saltwater for a few days. I kept a shoulder from the sow and all the backstraps. The rest is being ground into sausage. 

Little Rock, AR

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I had wild boar last night for the first time.  It was sausage over a penne pasta.  It was very good.  I did not think it was gamey at all.  It was at a restaurant so not sure if the sausage was mixed with something to dilute the gamey taste.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    We are starting to be overrun with them. The boar was small so I just cleaned him quick and let soak in saltwater for a few days. I kept a shoulder from the sow and all the backstraps. The rest is being ground into sausage. 
    I had some frat brothers in college with a similar problem and we cooked a many of them behind the frat house with a ekg or two.    Only thing is these nuts caught them live and then fed them out for a month or so before grill time!   I ate plenty and it was good but did not partake in the catching part!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Its a little more gamey than other meat but its still good stuff if cooked right. That fried backstrap was better than any porkchop you'll grab at the grocery store. And the gaminess makes for great sausage. 

Little Rock, AR

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice!! We were having a hog problem down at our place near Goliad a few years back. I was planning on getting one or more, but they up and disappeared before I ever had the chance. I don't know if the neighbors just went hog wild crazy, but they are all gone. Down there, its legal to hunt them year round, no license needed.

Now we've got a ton of turkey. Don't know where they all came from, but I spotted 17 of them last weekend all at once. IF they are there at Thanksgiving....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    The hogs here (arkansas) usually only move at night so its hard to kill them out. The reproduce like rabbits. And eat everything in the woods. I hate them. 

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The hogs here (arkansas) usually only move at night so its hard to kill them out. The reproduce like rabbits. And eat everything in the woods. I hate them. 
    They are essentially rodents of unusual size.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    In Oklahoma we can shoot as many as we want.  There are some restrictions on hunting at night, running a suppressor, etc. but they are not considered game animals and there is no season or bag limits.

As far as eating, I leave them for the buzzards, coyotes and other hogs after they hit 100lbs.  The little ones are not bad at all.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    We can kill all we want whenever, as long as theres some sort og hog rooting or other sign on the property. 

Little Rock, AR

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    They are essentially rodents of unusual size.
    "R.O.U.S.es? I don't think they exist."
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.