Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg top vent cover?

Options
So my egg sits on my covered porch and was wondering if the smokeware cap actually would add anything to my egg vs the DFMT? MBGE and MM

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I don't follow...
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Search the forum for more info on the smokeware cap, but if you have your green cap that came with it, there probably isn't a great advantage. You can use the smokeware to snuff out the fire, and you can't with the DFMT. 

I would spend your money on something other accessory you're looking at, like a good thermometer, adjustable rig, kick ash basket, etc.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Ok...wasn't sure if the Smoke cap was just for the folks who dont have their eggs in a covered cooking area.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Given you don't need the rain protection then the biggest advantage is going to be just cosemetic. The stainless steel, mushroom shaped cap of the SmokeWare looks so much cooler than a rusty Daisy! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Thanks @RRP  appreciate the feedback!
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Some might argue there is more precise temp control w/ the smokeware cap (presumably due to the larger vent opening resulting in a wider range of possible settings). Not sure I noticed a huge difference in temp control precision, but there may be merit to it. Also, I no longer use the ceramic lid to kill the fire, rather just close down the smokeware cap. So if you were using the daisy wheel during cooks, and then the ceramic cap to shut down the fire, you could eliminate the need to switch between them if you used the smokeware cap. Note: there are folks on here that feel the smokeware cap takes longer to shut down the fire compared to the ceramic cap, so just be aware of that if you go that route. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Just wrap the top of the dome with some Nomex gasket, tap the BGE cast iron daisy wheel cap on it, and you are done.  You can close it at the end of the cook and it's air-tite, so the fired dies.  My original ceramic cap is still in the box, sealed and never to be used.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    NO
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Mine are also under a covered porch. I got my large a few years ago and used the daisy wheel for a while. Bought the smoke ware and loved it. It's just easy to adjust, stays where you put it, lid up or down. Got a great deal on a small this summer and after a few cooks, I realized how I hate the daisy wheel. Bought one for that one too. 

Just my opinion and others may disagree but it's money well spent. Considering you will have this grill for 10+ years, maybe 20 or more, what's it really cost? 

A must have accessorie first is the plate setter and a thick pizza stone.  I just spent too much money on an adjustable rig at the ceramic grill store. Waiting for it to get delivered. 

clifkincaid said:
    So my egg sits on my covered porch and was wondering if the smokeware cap actually would add anything to my egg vs the DFMT? MBGE and MM

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    It will look sharp.