Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron ware care ...

Options

A bit off topic and nothing to do with the BGE.  I cook a lot with cast iron.  I have a 12" skillet and a big heavy Dutch Oven.  I made homemade tomato soup the other day with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, and I noticed the soup had a bit of a weird taste.  Then I noticed a smell that was kind of like the taste of the soup coming from the Dutch Oven lid.  What I *think* it is, is the vegetable oil I rub on the cast iron after use and washing (no soap used for washing, just hot water).  I think over time the vegetable oil has built up layers and has turned.  The little bump on the underside of the lid makes it hard to scrub or wash, so I think the oil has thickened over time and is now rancid, for lack of a better term.

So, first, how to people treat their cast iron cookware after washing?  Do you rub oil on it?  Second, how should I go about scrubbing the underside of the lid to get the layer of oil off and the smell out of my food, and then retreat it?

Thanks!

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Ihousesoccer  Welcome to the forum.  

I've always followed the advise of those who say soap shouldn't touch your CI.  Many will say they wash them all the time.  I also never cook tomato based dishes in my CI, likewise many will say it's fine.  My CI is all perfect, black, and never needed re-seasoning, so I'm not going to mess with what works for me.

I wash my CI while still warm in warm water using a ringer (I'd highly suggest picking one up).  Then I spray with some type of veggi oil and wipe off as much as I'm able, leaving only the thinnest film for storage.

As far as getting rid oil and smell off the lid... I'd wipe it down and then try baking the lid on the grill for a couple hours.  That would be and easy first step to try.  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1444001853&sr=1&keywords=the+ringer
    Phoenix 
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    +1 on the ringer. For tomato based sauces, I would use enameled cast iron.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I think the tomato has acid in it which dissolves the seasoning on the pan and reacts with the iron.  I don't think it will hurt your pans, but it could affect the taste of the food you cook. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Avoid the heavily acidic items. That said, I do cook with tomato items in a casserole (eggplant parm) on the egg. The particular piece I use is a relatively new piece and hot heavily oiled.

I do use a small amount of detergent (on occasion) with heavily soiled items. What is important when using detergent requires extra efforts to rinse thoroughly....and an immediate had dry. Also when adding oil to season, I apply but also wipe excess. The goal is to fill the pours and not to put a heavy coating of oil. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the last time i simmered whole tomatoes down to a sauce it lifted the preseasoning off the lodge skillet, i eventually had to take a grinder to it to remove the rest as it bubbled up every cook afterwards.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I remember being told by my grandmother to never cook tomatoes in her cast iron.  Previous posters were correct about the acidic nature of tomatoes and it eating the oil to the bare metal.  I think its that chemical reaction you are getting in the sauce.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    You CAN cook tomato or citrus-y dishes in cast iron IF the cast iron is very, very, very well seasoned.

If it is not then yep...you'll get some funky tastes going on.

I also agree that one of those little chainmail scrubbers are very useful for cast iron (and other cookware). They will get "stuff" out of your skillet but they won't easily scrub off the seasoning.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cook chili in mine. After any ci use I simmer or boil water... Nylon scrub brush or bamboo and never a problem. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    try simmering down whole tomatoes for 8to9 hours or so, it will remove 50 years of seasoning =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'm in the soap camp, just not after every cook. This is a good place to start, works for me. I think there are many ways, just find one you are comfortable with.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/seasoned-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    try simmering down whole tomatoes for 8to9 hours or so, it will remove 50 years of seasoning =)
    Well in that case you put away the Lodge and break out the Le Creuset.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I cook everything in mine, plus bake corn bread in them. I wash in soap and water but when done, I place it on the stove and heat it up so that the moisture evaporates.