Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRE SAFETY

Options
I just saw yet another post from someone talking about adding a room on his deck so he could cook while being sheltered from the rain, wind, snow, etc. It amazes me that people continue to do this. Risking not only the homes they worked so hard for, but their very lives and the lives of their loved ones as well... just so they can stay dry. Grills do NOT belong on decks, near structures, under roofs, etc. You are building a fire!!!!!! right in the middle of  bunch of very flammable stuff! Not to mention the risk of carbon monoxide!

I don't mind snow, but I HATE grilling in the rain. My solution? If it's raining, I use my oven.

Please, people...THINK!! This could happen to you!

http://onsafety.cpsc.gov/blog/2011/05/25/grilling-time-fire-it-up-safely/

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-york/burlington/house-fire-caused-by-charcoal-grill/21524844

http://wspa.com/2015/07/12/charcoal-grill-blamed-for-overnight-house-fire/

http://www.soloneconomist.com/content/nl-fire-department-responds-structure-fire

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article4256809.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Agree!!There are many better options. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    OD Kitchen with the proper safety measures in place and some due diligence  precautions don't have to end like the above news story. A little common sense goes a long ways. Good PSA Michael. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    For the record mine is on a wooden deck....for now. Being safety conscience is no accident. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For the record mine is on a wooden deck....for now. Being safety conscience is no accident. 
    My son was in the Navy too. I don't recall hearing about it after Great Lakes, but they sure were serious about fire there! I guess a fire on a ship can be, umm, inconvenient.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q I'm NOT making light of it. Yes, 100% agree fire is no laughing matter. I was simply stating a fact in regards to my egg location. We are looking toward an OD Kitchen and it won't be attached to our home. Like I said good PSA Michael. It won't be long and you'll here of folks in the snowbelt and elsewhere being asphyxiated or burning down a home due to Qing, generator, oil or kerosene heaters in a garage or right inside the home (happens every year).  Agreed it should be taken seriously. :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I don't know if y'all know or heard of Rodney Scott but he's a one of the best as far as   bbq, well the long and short of it, he lost his entire operation due to a pit fire. In my opion, no matter what. Level cook you are, you've got to be careful.Keep your equipment çleaned and enjoy yourself.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    and put a fire extinguisher nearby
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Thanks for the fire safety PSA, but many homes and deaths have been due to kitchen fires from an oven too. We can never be to careful!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am gonna build a cover over mine when I do my backyard but it's going to be in a nonflammable table on a concrete pad expansion that's away from the house. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    When I first bought my egg, it was on my back deck. For fire safety, I went to my local building supply big box store and bought a 3x5ft hardibacker board (used for tile backer) to put under the egg. Helped with potential dropped hot coals (I use a chimney to start the fire)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nice to get a reminder every once in a while! Something not to be taken lightly.
    Safe cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    When dealing with any fire, safety first!

Last week my wife got pissed because I forgot to blow out a candle that I left lit while we were out shopping for several hours.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Agree!!There are many better options. 
    Such as awnings from any school besides Kentucky, for example... ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike