Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for 170 people for a reception

Options
How much pulled pork would I need to pull this off? What would be the best way of cooking it? Spread it over a few cooks and vacuum seal it?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Big crowd there brother!  Plan on 1/2# of raw shoulder per person.  It renders to less. Definitely do multiple cooks and food saver pulled product.  Reheat in simmering water so plan for that too.  I'm in the minority but I'd brine the pork and dry rub it with Alton Browns recipe for pulled pork.  Needs no sauce, especially if you do 4-5 pound boneless butts so brine and dry rub provide all the flavor.  Pm me you like.  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I would start with a case at minimun (10 shoulders).

Did a cook for 200 in May, 14 7-8lbers.  12 on the WSM, 2 on the egg.  Spread it out over two overnighters.  Cooked everything a few days before the event and put into large ziplocks, spread flat for fast heating.  Unless I need to cook over a week before the event, I won't waste my time and money using FS bags.

Reheated on site with a turkey fryer and large King Kooker aluminum pot filled with water.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Well you never said what you have to cook on, so with that said...good luck
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Focker said:

Did a cook for 200 in May, 14 7-8lbers.  12 on the WSM, 2 on the egg.  Spread it out over two overnighters.  Cooked everything a few days before the event and put into large ziplocks, spread flat for fast heating.  Unless I need to cook over a week before the event, I won't waste my time and money using FS bags.

Reheated on site with a turkey fryer and large King Kooker aluminum pot filled with water.  

What method do you use to reheat?  And how do you feel this finished product compares to what comes off of the egg fresh?
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I just catered for 150. I had 10 butts totaling 72lbs. I ended up with about 2 lbs left. Hope that helps
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2015
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    Focker said:

What method do you use to reheat?  And how do you feel this finished product compares to what comes off of the egg fresh?
    Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Drop in bag.  Shut off heat.  Wait until bags are completely heated through, 5 min or so.  Dump piping hot pork into roaster.  

Cannot tell a difference between fresh PP, and reheated PP done this way.  The bag in water trick I picked up from Kevin, a catering chef, on the TVWB, early 2000s.  By far, the best method to quickly reheat large amounts without drying.....wouldn't do it any other way.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ktpbighead
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I have a xl, I will be doing some figuring this weekend on this project. Is it better to vacuum seal it with bbq sauce or add it later when thawing?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I prefer sauce on the side, then everyone gets what/how much they want. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Impressive @Focker. The clean fridge is also impressive. 
  • ktpbighead
    Options
    Well, this past Friday I smoked 30 lbs of pork shoulder. Turned out great. Just found out today the wedding/reception is cancelled. Oh well.......
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Well, this past Friday I smoked 30 lbs of pork shoulder. Turned out great. Just found out today the wedding/reception is cancelled. Oh well.......
    Ouch......Hopefully you will still get some coin to cover cost. That's too bad 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    Options
    Just a suggestion...keep what you want, take the rest to your local fire station. They will definately appreciate it !
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Fwiw I usually smoke about 30 lbs on my large when I am cooking butts.  I vac seal and stock the freezer.  I usually end up giving some away as well.  It is really nice to have on hand for a quick meal. I take it out if the freezer and drop in sinmering water and in 40 min or so I have fresh bbq. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.