Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy Weekend

Options
We had a pretty busy weekend this weekend, but I still managed to squeeze in a few cooks. Saturday night was burgers. Mrs. G picked them up from Central Market. Patties made with Bacon and  cheddar cheese in 'em. Then topped with cheddar. No pics cooking as I had a few drinks and didn't think about it.

Sunday for lunch, we had some legs seasoned with JH Texas chicken tickler on the Mini.

And when that finished up, we did two spatchcocked chickens. Not to eat. Just to save for casseroles and stuff. 2 birds produced about 8 cups of shredded chicken, so one bird = 4 cups of shredded chicken. Not sure I've ever read that or thought about it before, but might be a handy piece of information. That I'll probably forget by next week.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother, everything looks excellent. Nice job.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That has to be the best looking burger I've seen on here in a while. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I agree with @Jeremiah , that's burger looks good.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will 3rd or 4th...that is a fine looking burger!  All the grub looks great.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks guys. I didn't even finish it because I was full on snack food and appetizers. It was on a brioche bun.

Rowlett, Texas

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great lookin grub right there!  That burger looks amazing!  I was planning on jucy Lucy next weekend with bacon in the cheese.  Is that what you did here or did you mix the cheese and bacon with the beef @Griffin?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Griffin That is a great burger. So have you made any of your world famous sausage and homebrew lately?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Looks like a successful weekend! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Griffin
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Great lookin grub right there!  That burger looks amazing!  I was planning on jucy Lucy next weekend with bacon in the cheese.  Is that what you did here or did you mix the cheese and bacon with the beef @Griffin?

They were store bought with the bacon and cheese mixed in with the meat, not stuffed.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @Griffin That is a great burger. So have you made any of your world famous sausage and homebrew lately?

The kid has been keeping me too busy. I might try and make some sausage weekend after this one. Heading to the ranch on Thursday for some dove hunting this weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great cooks there!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @Griffin Awesome looking cook, not trying to hijack but have a question, I've followed your blog and see you have lots of experience. what are your thoughts on the mini vs the mini max. Not sure if you have maybe cooked on one at an effect. I'm looking for a small grill for weeknight cooks. I haven't seen a mini in person but have seen the max, I like the slightly larger cook grid and the shallower pit seems perfect for filling a chimney and dumping her in and letting her rip. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good lookin' grub all around Grif.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Great look cooks Griff. Nice job!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Options
    feef706 said:
    @Griffin Awesome looking cook, not trying to hijack but have a question, I've followed your blog and see you have lots of experience. what are your thoughts on the mini vs the mini max. Not sure if you have maybe cooked on one at an effect. I'm looking for a small grill for weeknight cooks. I haven't seen a mini in person but have seen the max, I like the slightly larger cook grid and the shallower pit seems perfect for filling a chimney and dumping her in and letting her rip. Any feedback is appreciated.

That's a really good question, but unfortunately I don't have an answer as I've never cooked on the mini max. When I got my Mini, the max wasn't an option.

I like my mini. Its fun to cook on, but is it really practical? After having it a few years, I'd say not really. At first, it was a novelty. What can I cook on it? Let's try this. Then, I started using it a lot when my wife had her old job and traveled a lot. Great for cooking for one person. I know some people claim they cook four burgers on it, but what size burgers? I can get one "Griffin" sized burger on it. Or one ribeye. As you can see, it holds 6 chicken legs. But cooking for more than 2? I just don't see it.

Yeah, sure, you can cook some appetizers on it. Or some side dishes. It's nice to have when you've got the large filled up and need some extra room, but it just isn't a stand alone grill IMHO. 

The most important question, if I could go back and buy it again knowing what I did now, would I? I struggle with that question. I have to admit that I got if from a friend who sells home appliances and grills and such and I got their family discount so I got it for a steal. Would I pay the $399 or whatever they go for now? NO. I might be bucking the trend, I might not have drunk enough of the Kool-Aid lately, but I don't think I would. It doesn't make sense to me. Does the MiniMax extra grill space make it worthwhile and a better option than the Mini? I can't say. I can say that I think that if I had to do it over, I would probably just buy a Weber Smokey Joe or a Jumbo Joe. OR maybe an Old Smokey. My brother bought me one of those in college for my birthday and it was the first grill I ever owned. While we put out some ok food on it, I wonder what I could do now...

I hope that helps, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Sorry. You've gotta look at the money it costs and decide if its worth it to you.

Rowlett, Texas

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Griffin said:
    feef706 said:

That's a really good question, but unfortunately I don't have an answer as I've never cooked on the mini max. When I got my Mini, the max wasn't an option.

I like my mini. Its fun to cook on, but is it really practical? After having it a few years, I'd say not really. At first, it was a novelty. What can I cook on it? Let's try this. Then, I started using it a lot when my wife had her old job and traveled a lot. Great for cooking for one person. I know some people claim they cook four burgers on it, but what size burgers? I can get one "Griffin" sized burger on it. Or one ribeye. As you can see, it holds 6 chicken legs. But cooking for more than 2? I just don't see it.

Yeah, sure, you can cook some appetizers on it. Or some side dishes. It's nice to have when you've got the large filled up and need some extra room, but it just isn't a stand alone grill IMHO. 

The most important question, if I could go back and buy it again knowing what I did now, would I? I struggle with that question. I have to admit that I got if from a friend who sells home appliances and grills and such and I got their family discount so I got it for a steal. Would I pay the $399 or whatever they go for now? NO. I might be bucking the trend, I might not have drunk enough of the Kool-Aid lately, but I don't think I would. It doesn't make sense to me. Does the MiniMax extra grill space make it worthwhile and a better option than the Mini? I can't say. I can say that I think that if I had to do it over, I would probably just buy a Weber Smokey Joe or a Jumbo Joe. OR maybe an Old Smokey. My brother bought me one of those in college for my birthday and it was the first grill I ever owned. While we put out some ok food on it, I wonder what I could do now...

I hope that helps, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Sorry. You've gotta look at the money it costs and decide if its worth it to you.
    I have a MM, and I love it. I actually chose it over the small, and not the mini, because, although heavy, it is great as a mobile cooker. We camp a lot, by a lot I mean, 8-12 meals per trip, trips mostly 4 days, every week but the summer, unless we are going for altitude. We use it tailgating, and have brought it to a few parties as well. I have double tiered mine on more than one occasion, feeding 6, and could possibly done enough for 8. The small is a great home cooker, and could be used for travel, but it is my opinion, if you want a travel companion, the MM is my choice, and I would recommend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky