Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillgrates, Thanks SolCalTim, BBQ Dragon

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
edited September 2015 in Off Topic
After using the Grillgrates twice and there I a learning curve with these things.  I first did brats and asparagus and tonight 2" rib eye, peppers and squash.  Instructions say that he grill grates should be 150 to 200 degrees above what the temp of the grill should be. I tired to grill the brats at 250 to 300 and let them get hot for 10 minutes before putting them on.  They took a little longer then expected, but no flare ups.  

On the steak I got the grill to 400 to 450, but it took a little longer then my other way .  I think if it was thinner it would have cooked better.  Should have done revurse sear and use the Grillgrates to sear with. They do give great grill marks and Will be good for burgers and meatloaf.

I also tried out the BBQ Dragon tonight.  Got grill lit let it run for about 3 minutes, closed the lid clamped the it to the leg of my nest, pointed the fan at the bottom vent.  It got up to 400 in about 10 minutes..  I like it.  More data needs to be collected on both more.  Now I enjoying the a cigar and the game on my tablet.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    Curious to hear how you like them after a few more cooks. Can't decide if they'd be beneficial enough for me. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Curious to hear how you like them after a few more cooks. Can't decide if they'd be beneficial enough for me. 
    I Will let you know as I use them more.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Steve753
    Options
    I've had a variation of them for years. Those grates do work well.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca