Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How Many Butts on a Small w/ GrateMates?

JimboBQJimboBQ Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my GrateMates package today when I arrived home from work. This really improved my bad Monday! Can't wait to do a low n slow on the small now. Does anyone think I can get 2 butts in the small with the deluxe Gratemates? How about it Chubby? Thanks for getting my order out so quickly. I'm gonna love this new small set up![p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 large, 1 small AND a brand new mini!

Comments

• ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    JimboBQ,

Honestly...I haven't done it yet![p]I think if you have the BGE baking dish on the bottom (as a platesetter) that will help with keeping the temps on the bottom but (calmed down) since it's closer to the fire[p]I would rotate the butts every couple of hours maybe also.[p]I'll be interested to hear your results![p]One last thought...[p]if the butt on the bottom hangs over the fire ring too much...it's gonna get singed as the convection action in the egg will be pulling hot air right past it..[p]Evans[p]Butt "pros"...wade in here please!!

• Chubby,[p]Although I don't have the "GrateMates", and they sure do look like a great product, I have been cooking two large butts on the small and they always come out great. I also never have to rotate them at all since they cook on just one grid. However, I do have to start them on their sides and lean them together at the top for the first 5-6 hours until they shrink up some and I can then get them laid down.[p]23MVC-018E.jpg[p]
    This is my setup for maximum space in the small cooker. I have my drip pan under the standard grid in the cooker. This is also my base for my two layer cooking. [p]20mvc-009e.jpg[p]This is two large butts that weighed a total of 16.82 pounds and as you can see, I start them on their sides and lean them together at the top for the first 5-6 hours.[p]20mvc-010e.jpg[p]This shows the butts after I got them laid down.[p]You brought up an interesting point about the convection air and the lower grid and this is true in all the Eggs especially in two layer cooking. In the small with my setup which places the meat close to the fire, I can cook up to about 240 degrees measured at the grid without any problems with the hotter convection air coming up around the grid. When I go above 300 measured at the lower grid, I need to place all my meat inside the diameter of the drip pan on the lower grid but I can still use all of the top grid for two layer cooking. Again, I don't want to have to turn or screw with my product and this does work well for me. [p]The small is a great little cooker and it is nice to see someone out there making setups for it that work. [p]Dave

• GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    Old Dave,[p]Wayado. I would have said there is not enough room for two butts, but I never thought about standing them on the end.[p]Looks great![p]GM