Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the Bacon Meisters: Fail?

Options
I just put two 3 pound slabs in the smoker,  When I placed one of the slabs on the grill, I noticed some dark spots.  I'm not sure if the whole slab is bad or just the spots.  
Heres what I did:

1 Slab Ruhlmans maple bacon recipe.
1 slab Ruhlmans basic cure, salt box method.

Cured for 8 days
Soaked in water for three to four hours.
Placed on wire racks and air dried in the bottom of the fridge for 3 days.

I noticed the dark spots are only where the meat made contact with the wire rack.

What do you guys think?  Throw it out?

Simi Valley, California
LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pics?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sounds like some kind of oxidation from the metal rack? ask @nolaegghead he's like mr wizard
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not a problem.  Smoke it off and enjoy your bacon!  150 it. Pasteurized and delicious.  Next time don't dry it out 3 days. 24 hours and you have the pellicle. Then smoke it. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No need to 'pasteurize'. It's frikkin cured. 

As for the dark spots, what was the rack? At any rate, can't imagine what the safety issue would be. If you are worried, just trim the thing. 

Agree with the one-day pellicle. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    Duh, thanks Darby.  Forgive me.  One bourbon too many.  Do you ever sleep? ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    It's 11pm. Is that late?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    It's 11:11, early for me.  Sleep well brother.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sorry forgot the pic... 

Cant get it to work, here is a link:

Yeah, it dried for a few days, I think its just from the rack, maybe it was still a little wet when I placed it on the rack.

Editing to add that Im cold smoking, so 150 will not be hit.

Simi Valley, California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My guess is oxidation or dirt from the rack.  Threat level approaches zero.
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks Nola, just what I wanted to hear.
    Ill cut it off and enjoy the rest.

Edited to add - Threat level: For all epsilon greater than zero...
    Simi Valley, California
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @nolaegghead agrees.  Enjoy your bacon. Please post pics!
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I will thanks!
    Simi Valley, California
  • blind99
    Options
    I have almost the exact cure going on. 3 lbs of basic cure, 3 lbs of maple brown sugar, and 3 lbs of Chinese 5 spice.  Homemade bacon is so delicious!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Interesting dynamic:  everyone says same thing. OP  waits until Nola says same thing. 

should maybe set up a nola-only subforum.  :)

point should go to @blind99 this round

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My guess is oxidation or dirt from the rack.  Threat level approaches zero.
    Hey, no guesses. We want only the facts ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw hehe, thanks - there's lots of smart, good cooks on here to get advice from. I just figure Nola has more experience with it than me and he's given me some bacon advice in the past. But at the rate I'm curing bacon these days that may change!

Last batch:

• Little Steven
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw hehe, thanks - there's lots of smart, good cooks on here to get advice from. I just figure Nola has more experience with it than me and he's given me some bacon advice in the past. But at the rate I'm curing bacon these days that may change!

Last batch:

I've heard that darby has at least a ton of decomposing meat hanging from nails in his basement at any given time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    That's some damn nice granite you have there too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    Options
    thanks @Little Steven wish i could take credit but it came with the house!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    How did I guess this was coming ☺
    canuckland
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i have contact paper on my countertops.  and a second-hand busted range/oven.   but the book case is coming along nicely.  effed up priorities here, to be sure.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yes but I would trade my granite for your sink

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you could take a bath in it

• Little Steven
    Options
    Would you wash my back? We have a deal if so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you wash my front, i'll wash yours.  (is that how it goes?)

• Little Steven
    Options
    That's  how it worked in North Bay but you and I weren't involved.

Steve 

Caledon, ON