Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Expect?

So I have registered to cook at this year’s Eggtoberfest and I was hoping to get some input on what to expect. I am cooking with a buddy so we will be sharing an Egg. We are trying to nail down what we plan on cooking but I would love to get a couple of questions answered first.

1. Is there a wash station? Or should I plan on doing as much prep as possible before hand.

2. The way I understand the rules we will not have access to the cooking area before 8:30 am Saturday morning so a long "low and slow" would be impossible.

3. Do you have to bring everything needed but the Egg? (Tables, Chairs)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    At my Eggfest last summer, I spoke to a participant who told me what to expect should I ever want to cook.

At our eggfest, an overnight stay was very much allowed, he told me that he prepped everything at home, that way your not rushed in the morning.

Tables, EZ up's (for shade) were not supplied, basically everything ecept the egg and lump are supplied by the cook.

May I suggest, you call or email the sponsor to get exact details. It should also be posted on the eggfest website.

Hopefully others here who have participated with respond here, I'm very much interested in 'what to expect' ... great post.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Never been to Eggtoberfest, but I would advise that you don't cook too much and allow yourself time to wander around, meet other Eggheads and sample some good grub. My first fest, I was ambitious with how much I wanted to cook and never had time to do all that and I regretted it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Griffin said:
    Never been to Eggtoberfest, but I would advise that you don't cook too much and allow yourself time to wander around, meet other Eggheads and sample some good grub. My first fest, I was ambitious with how much I wanted to cook and never had time to do all that and I regretted it.

Ditto.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• +1 on @griffin comment.
    Depends on the eggfest as to what is provided. I have been to eggfeast where all there was the egg and some that had chairs, tables, EZ ups and access to a full kitchen and paper goods that you might have forgotten. Best to contact the sponsor or dealer and ask. Also remember to make small portions you are not trying to give them meal. Remember to have fun.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @NPHuskerFL, has done one reticently, maybe he can be of help.  I agree that the one organizing the Eggfest should be able to give you more details on what you can do and need to bring.  You are right in that you won't have time for a low & slow unless you have started it at home and are just finishing it on the egg provided to you.  Say if you do a brisket, try to get it past the stall and it be almost done and then have something else that you can cook quick after that.  just me 2 cents here.  Have fun.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2015
    @Ladeback69 Thanks for the hat tip. However, I've never played chef at any Fests (wife & I were tasters). I have done many demos at my Egg dealer. So my input probably wouldn't help much. 
    My demos last roughly 4-6 hrs. A lot of prep is done the night before. I have a small kitchen at the store available if I need to store items as I need them for that days demo. I bring  my rubs, sauces, knife roll, cutting board, sample cups and spoons, torch, food gloves, heat gloves etc etc. I had these items stowed in a Tupperware style bin that I transport. I can't imagine a Fest being much different. As far as a L&S if the cook wanted to bring said pre-L&S item I doubt they would  quarrel over it (I would think it would be a PITA to perform said L&S at the fest because of time constraints but, maybe that's just me. 
    Good luck & have fun with it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL