Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Real NC Barbecue!

Options
Yesterday the wife and I drove to Lexington NC for business and Lexington is famous for BBQ, the person we had business with a local told us we had to go to Lexington Barbecue restaurant they opened in 1962 and the parking lot was full. The Big green Egg has ruined us in regards to BBQ. It was good but not great, wife said the best part was the Baked Beans and the best part for me was the BBQ Slaw ketchup based and awesome the pork was very boring to us. The problem is they have no sauce and we like sauce. But if you like the so called real NC BBQ then it's a must stop if your in the area.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

BBQ.jpg 386.7K

Comments

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I love old school local iconic restuarants.  I do have to admit that the egg has spoiled me on many fronts, BBQ, Steaks, Salmon, Wings, Pizza.  We hardly eat out unless we are on the go somewhere.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well this spread looks good. Of course us South Carolinian's would agree with you that it is boring, but I too have visited Lexington and have this to say. All BBQ is good, some are just better than others. My hats off to our northern brothers....but will hang my hat on the non-vinegar based as a favorite. Prefer sauce as well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    NC bbq rocks....  It just takes the brethren from the south a little longer to acquire that vinegar profile taste...  I agree egged bbq is the best... And yes I use vinegar in my marinade and sauce...  You are all welcome anytime....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
     It just takes the brethren from the south a little longer to acquire that vinegar profile taste...  
    LOL.....I do like the vinegar based....I like all BBQ. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tailg8ers
    Options
     It just takes the brethren from the south a little longer to acquire that vinegar profile taste...  
    LOL.....I do like the vinegar based....I like all BBQ. 
    If you want some really good BBQ - NC Style - you must go to Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill - it is the best and the BBQ Sauce -vinegar based is by far better than any you can find!!! Everything about this is authentic - and the desserts are all homemade -including the ice cream!!! that goes on the cobblers!
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    WE too like all BBQ and yes for sure some are better than others....... :) I have been working on that vinegar taste for a little over 59 years!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Biff_Tannen
    Options
    1. Real NC BBQ is chopped, not sliced like the above pic.

2. Go to Skylight Inn In Ayden, NC if you want real whole hog NC BBQ. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Jim, I too thought the BBQ at Lexington No.1 was good but not great. I attributed this to the fact they are cooking mass quantities of pork and don't have time to devote to looking for perfection where we on our BGE cook a couple of butts and take great pains in prepping and cooking each one. The result is we can produce better Q on our eggs. I guess I had an advantage on you because I like the vinegar based sauces. Yes, the BBQ slaw is both unique and good.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yesterday the wife and I drove to Lexington NC for business and Lexington is famous for BBQ, the person we had business with a local told us we had to go to Lexington Barbecue restaurant they opened in 1962 and the parking lot was full. The Big green Egg has ruined us in regards to BBQ. It was good but not great, wife said the best part was the Baked Beans and the best part for me was the BBQ Slaw ketchup based and awesome the pork was very boring to us. The problem is they have no sauce and we like sauce. But if you like the so called real NC BBQ then it's a must stop if your in the area.
    Where did you go?  Is this Honeymonks?.  Usually there isn't a bottled sauce given or on the table, except Texas Pete.  

In regards to the style of cut you have.  That actually is chopped, but a coarse chopped.  

You get BBQ three ways in Lexington, chopped, coarse chopped, and sliced.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I ate there last Thursday (only live 15 mins away) and that is exactly what you see on the tables.  That is a large coarse chopped tray with slaw and a side.  Best hush puppies you have ever eaten are served there.  The sauce in the bottle gives it a little more twang should you desire.  The have served more BBQ than most places will ever dream of fixing.  Lexington BBQ (Honeymonk as it is referred to locally being named for Wayne Monk who started the place) is a staple in our area.  Doubt you will ever pull in there and not have to search for a parking place.  It ain't for everybody but it is for me.  Bring me a large coarse chopped and a tea so I can go home and check my eyelids for pin holes!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I think many people, includes us Eggers, don't get the "vibe" they're looking for from a local place such as Honeymonks.  One of the reason is the seasoning.  You taste meat and smoke, only.  They use a little salt and that's it.  Where as us Eggers douse our meat with all kinds of rubs, sauces, mops, spritzes, and lord knows what else.  

If you want good meat with a kiss of smoke only, with some dip, Honeymonks or Speedys cannot be beat.  

Get a side of skins too!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I think many people, includes us Eggers, don't get the "vibe" they're looking for from a local place such as Honeymonks.  One of the reason is the seasoning.  You taste meat and smoke, only.  They use a little salt and that's it.  Where as us Eggers douse our meat with all kinds of rubs, sauces, mops, spritzes, and lord knows what else.  

If you want good meat with a kiss of smoke only, with some dip, Honeymonks or Speedys cannot be beat.  

Get a side of skins too!  
    You my friend are exactly right....no lipstick on the pig at those places!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Just ate there the other day
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    1. Real NC BBQ is chopped, not sliced like the above pic.

2. Go to Skylight Inn In Ayden, NC if you want real whole hog NC BBQ. 
    It was not sliced it was the coarse chopped tray, more like big chunks of pork.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm sorry if I have offended any of the locals but for me it was good just not great. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    No offense taken.  I've always made better que than any restaurant.  
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • dmason
    Options
    Biff is right - stay on the Eastern side of the state  ;)

My personal fav is B's in Greenville. I've never had better
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I love Lexington BBQ. I grew up on the stuff. It is an acquired taste, some like others don't just like any other style of BBQ. Glad you got to visit it Jim.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was surprised to see the "chunky" pork. Don't think I've ever seen NC Q that wasn't finely chopped. I see tarheelmatt has explained the finer points, but I wonder if that applies in other places (chopped, coarse chopped, sliced). New to me.

I have to admit that I have never had red slaw. My experience is with Eastern style and frankly, the red stuff just doesn't "look" right, to me anyway. Ketchup in coleslaw just ain't natural! =) As for sauce, for pork BBQ it's supposed to be vinegars, a little sugar and some spicy seasonings. Though I do have a pretty good one with ketchup and molasses. Still very thin and vinegary though.

On the other hand, I found a recipe for Skylight Inn (as Eastern as it gets) slaw once. It pretty much said "get a big pot of sugar, add a little chopped cabbage. Done." Not really, but it was VERY sweet. I called them once about something else and told them I had attempted their slaw from a recipe found online, but that it was awfully sweet. He said, "Son, it's SUPPOSED to be sweet!" (muttering dam yankee under his breath, I'm sure). =) If anyone wants to try it... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/107966/simple-carolina-slaw-a-10-000-recipe-and-worth-every-cent  Much too sweet for me though. Twice the sugar that's in...

... the recipes that @Smokinpig posted about his attempts at recreating Lexington #1's offerings. Somehow, I still haven't managed to try them. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163980/my-attempt-to-re-create-lexington-nc-bbq-and-slaw-at-home/p1

As for being spoiled by our own cooking, I have a rub similar to Elder Ward's, but no mops, injections, or spritzes. Lately, I have been using just a very little S&P and some white oak smoke. Period. I'm rather enjoying just the taste of the pork. And vinegar sauce of course. Think I might go back to hickory though - a little more kick.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I live in NC, and I love it, and I hate to be disloyal, but I'm not a huge fan of NC barbecue.  The first real barbecue I ever had was in Texas, and it was smokey, smokey, smokey, and I LOVED it.  NC barbecue by contrast is very mild -- the emphasis is on the pork itself.  A little vinegar, black pepper, maybe a little bit of red pepper but even that is subtle.  The main flavor is simply the pork, and that's they way they love it!

For me, I prefer more smoke.  Otherwise, I do love the vinegary NC style of "sauce" if you'd even call it that.  I use the Elder Ward recipe on this forum and I think it's great.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'm a Speedy's guy but haven't been there in years  :s
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Only things I like about NC bbq are vinegar sauces and the crispy skin mixed in like Skylight inn in Ayden, NC.  Give me that on my more smokey/spicy style bbq and I'm in my own personal heaven.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pulled pork is kinda boring to me unless it has some acidic vinegary sauce.  If I want sweetness on my meat, well, that's what SWMBO is for.
    I'm sorry if I have offended any of the locals but for me it was good just not great. :)
    No sir!  Not at all Jim.  Sorry if my comments came off wrong.  

Granted I like my Q better, but still love Lexington BBQ, which is my roots.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Anytime I'm at one of the places I like to go, I ask for skins.  Man they're good, especially with a sandwich!  

This was from last Friday.  My FIL loves Speedy's BBQ.  I got coarse chopped (white lean), fries, and baked beans.  It was pretty tasty.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I would like to thank all who have posted because I have learned from this thread. Special thanks to Carolina Q for sharing the video and the red slaw recipe, can't wait to make some. If I'm ever in Ayden NC I will have to go to the Skyline for sure as the skin mixed in sounds great but rest assured I will bring some of my favorite sauce with me a smuggle it in. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would like to thank all who have posted because I have learned from this thread. Special thanks to Carolina Q for sharing the video and the red slaw recipe, can't wait to make some. If I'm ever in Ayden NC I will have to go to the Skyline for sure as the skin mixed in sounds great but rest assured I will bring some of my favorite sauce with me a smuggle it in. :)
    Credit to Smokinpig for the red slaw recipe! He did all the work... all I did was post a bookmark. :) 

Just curious, Jim, what is your "favorite sauce"? A homebrew or commercial? What does it resemble? Sweet? Thick? Thin? Whatever it is, don't let 'em catch you with it at the Skylight!! :rofl: 

I did enjoy that video though. If you haven't OD'd on The Skylight Inn, here's another one that I think I posted a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKwt1yxnJoo

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Interesting Post article. Thanks!

After listening to him in the two videos on the Skylight, I was mildly surprised to read that Sam Jones, the narrator in both videos and the grandson of the founder, is going out on his own to start a new Q restaurant. In Winterville, no less, not even 5 miles down the road. 

Also, if you read the Comments after the article, there's a Texas transplant who just went off on NC barbecue. He made several comments talking about how awful it was and how Texas Q was so much better. Bet he's popular with all his new NC friends. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• morrobayrich
    Options
    You like sauce? Go to Texas. :|
    Morro Bay, CA