Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of Disposable Aluminum Trays

Options
What size do you guys buy and where do you find the best price?

The ones from Amazon are a 30 pack for 14 x 10 x 4 inches. 

http://www.amazon.com/Catering-Essentials-Half-Steam-Table/dp/B001UBHJI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442952591&sr=8-3&keywords=aluminum+tray
Large BGE from Normal, IL 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Howdi again from Dunlap!
    I don't use enough that I bother buying in quantity, but here's the point I want to make. I buy the shallow 2.5" kind so that I can place it on 3 standing copper piece each 1" long resting on my PS and then grate on PS legs. That way there is still air flow(smoke) under the grate, while also keeping the grease from burning, yet catches the grease with still plenty of capacity. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    Thanks @RRP .  It will take me a long time to get thru that many, but whenever I buy them when I need them, they are always $3/ea.  Figured I would stock up. 
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Something similar to that is $7 at Costco. I don't recall the exact sizes, but mine are similar but more shallow.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sam's, Costco, BJ's all have a 30 pack of the 1/2 steam table pans for $6-$7. 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-aluminum-foil-steam-table-pans-half-size-30-ct/200080.ip?iid=Category

They are probably a little taller than needed on the egg as a drip pan, but it is easy enough to squish them down a bit.  I use these more frequently for cooking and serving than as a drip pan.  Most of the time for a drip pan I just use aluminum foil and make a pan.  I use the foil pans for bigger jobs like multiple butts/briskets.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I buy disposable ones from the local grocer (Kroger) and like @RRP use ones short enough to give clearance below the cooking grate when sitting on the now extinct BGE green feet on the platesetter.  I will line the pan with foil and toss the foil after a cook so I get plenty of run-time before changing them out.  Many ways to get there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    Good to know that I can get them at Sam's or Costco.  I will have to look next time I go. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Sam's, Costco, BJ's all have a 30 pack of the 1/2 steam table pans for $6-$7. 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-aluminum-foil-steam-table-pans-half-size-30-ct/200080.ip?iid=Category

They are probably a little taller than needed on the egg as a drip pan, but it is easy enough to squish them down a bit.  I use these more frequently for cooking and serving than as a drip pan.  Most of the time for a drip pan I just use aluminum foil and make a pan.  I use the foil pans for bigger jobs like multiple butts/briskets.    
    I bought a bunch at Sam's like @SmokinPitt said.  I to use them for surviving then drop trays after a couple uses.  On my XL with a spacer on the PS I have to push them down a little to get them to fit.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Good to know that I can get them at Sam's 
    Sams has the Bakers Choice brand. They are much cheaper and built just as sturdy as some of the bigger name brands. I try to catch them when they have them marked down and buy a buggy full of them. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sams has the Bakers Choice brand. They are much cheaper and built just as sturdy as some of the bigger name brands. I try to catch them when they have them marked down and buy a buggy full of them. For the money, they are hard to beat.
    You need to explain what a buggy is to those north of the Mason Dixon. Up around here, we think of this when we hear buggy.

FWIW, I know what you mean. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @dmw that's a horse and buggy, a buggy is something to buy groceries in or grill on. 

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said
    You need to explain what a buggy is to those north of the Mason Dixon. Up around here, we think of this when we hear buggy.

Except for a very few, i gave up on those north of the Mason/Dixon line many years ago ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said

Except for a very few, i gave up on those north of the Mason/Dixon line many years ago ;)
    I hope I made the cut.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    DMW said

I hope I made the cut.
    You know that you are one of the chosen few brother D.

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @dmw I was fixin' to go to the store. If you'll carry  me down there, I'll show you a buggy. 
  • DMW
    Options
    @dmw I was fixin' to go to the store. If you'll carry  me down there, I'll show you a buggy. 
    OK, I got all that except "carry". Does that mean provide a ride in a car, or literally pick you up and hoist you over my shoulder and hoof it down to the store?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    DMW said:
    OK, I got all that except "carry". Does that mean provide a ride in a car, or literally pick you up and hoist you over my shoulder and hoof it down to the store?
    The more convenient option, typically we use a vehicle. 
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    SGH said:
    The Bakers Choice frozen chicken is the worst product I have ever purchased.  
  • jonessteave
    Options
    Tin trays wholesale 
    I'm tired of the flimsy, clear plastic trays. I had one crack on me the other day... that was a mess, since the plant is inside! :S

So I found some baking trays for loaves of banana bread and the like... aluminum I believe. Same stuff disposable pie trays are made of. They fit perfect; I can get two pots per tray. They are nice and deep too. My only question regards metal leaching... will the aluminum eventually release enough metal to poison the plants? If I go ahead with this, I'll have flytraps, sarrs, and droseras in the pans.