Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Port Butt problems (kinda)

Options
First post. Been an Egger for almost two months now. Mostly lurking here getting tips and hints about certain food. I've mostly been Egging seafood. My favorite so far has been Salmon and Crab stuffed plank trout.

This weekend, I did my first Boston Butt (7lbs).

I watched several Egging videos and most suggest temps between 220 and 250 at 90 minutes per pound. So the plan was simple, at 90 minutes a pound get up at 0630 and have the Butt on by 0730 for an approximately 10hr Egging. After 6hrs, wrap the butt in foil. At about 8hrs start watching the temp and remove around 190-200 internal temp.

Setup was typical. Indirect heating, legs up, drip pan half filled with water and 1 bottle of vinegar. That was the plan. Execution was a little different.

1. I didn't get the Butt on until around 0800, getting the temp to a steady 250 was a little challenging. (on a side note, one of the things I discovered is that after you ge the temp to where you want it, once you put the plate in it takes awhile to get back up to temp).

2. Once the Butt was on and the temp was stable, I left it alone until 2pm. I did have to come out a few times and adjust the temp as it started to run a little hot at times (never more than 290). After 6hrs the plan was to wrap it in foil and let it finish.

3. The problem was that when I checked the temp, the butt was actually done. In fact, the internal temp was a little more than I wanted, registering in the thickest part at around 210.

The good news is I got to eat earlier then anticipated. However, I'm seeing where people leave their Butts on all night and I almost did this. If I had, it would have been a charred mess when I got up.

So what did I do wrong? Don't get me wrong, the Butt was out of this world good, but that was strictly by accident. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer. Also, you learned there is nothing magical about 250. I usually go between 270-300 as it's easier to control. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also, you learned there is nothing magical about 250. I usually go between 270-300 as it's easier to control. 
    That is the zone I cook my butts in, too. 

@Whisper, a remote thermometer is very helpful for longer cooks like a butt. You can constantly monitor the temp without opening the Egg and you will know just how fast the butt is cooking. 

Good to see that yours came out good! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Butts are very forgiving. don't worry so much.

as for over night cooks, I primarily reserve those for longer cooks on bigger butts or briskets. If I can knock a butt out day of, I prefer it.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You did nothing wrong cuz you made delicious food!  IMHO don't put any fluid in the drip pan as you risk a temp spike (when the fluid evaporates while you're drinking beer) and it's unnecessary!  Get an IT probe (Maverick) or many others to know your IT. And, butts do well anywhere from 225-350 (turbo) depending on your preference and time constraints. Happy egging!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MelSharples
    Options
    I have found that if you start early on a low and slow you will always finish way before your planned time. Conversely, if you start 10 minutes late the stall will carry well past your planned time. Thankfully, someone invented towels and coolers to hold the temp for a few hours. I guess you could say cooking on the egg, or any smoker for that matter, is more of an art form than cooking and you can't rush art...  
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta