Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork shoulder

Hi everyone,

I'm smoking my first pork shoulder. 9.8lbs with the bone in. I've had it on for 12 hours at 225 and the meat temp is holding fairly stable at 155. I've been told to take it off at 195. 

Is there something I should be doing to get it to the finish line?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Bump your temp up to 275-300. Some would foil but I don't. You go even higher and you'll be fine with great results.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Oh, and welcome!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited September 2015
    You need patience and a large load of lump charcoal-All that aside, the finish-line for most pork butt or shoulder cooks is somewhere in the low 200's*F.  Running at your temp will mean that the cook could run upwards of 18-20+ hours.  So, if that is not acceptable -then dial up the BGE to somewhere around 300-350*F and punch it home.  Pork cooks are quite benevolent with regard to dealing with temperature-go for it.
    All you need to do to hit the finish-line is ensure that the bone pulls w/o any resistance.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Edit: welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.