Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Boston butts

feef706
feef706 Posts: 853
Still learning on the egg. I did a Boston butt two weeks ago 9 lbs took 16 hours on LBGE at 225 grate temp, not much leftovers after the party was over. This time I figured might as well do two since it appears it doesn't change much in the way of cooking time.

One butt is 9lbs, the other is 8.5, I plan to use my new auber temp controller and maverick 732 with a probe in each butt, just looking for any advice on cooking two versus one. 

Attached is is the last butt, everyone was pleased.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    One or two (or more) as long as they aren't embracing each other will cook as a single stand-alone butt.  A few things-
    you will see a longer temperature recovery time since you will be loading a greater amount of cold pig.
    Make sure you have a large air-gapped drip pan to catch the renderings.
    The smaller one may finish later than the other-each pig has mind of its own.
    Best finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean.  No bone-piggy probes like buttah; likely somewhere in the low 200's*F.
    Butts are very forgiving-you can cook anywhere from the low 200's (as you experienced) up to turbo temps (300*F+)  and still get a great result.
    If you want more on turbo, try the search function here or use google and add "big green egg" to your query.  Enjoy the cook and eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I always do 2 as it takes basically the same amount of time and lump....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • feef706
    I always do 2 as it takes basically the same amount of time and lump....  
    That's why I decided to do two, hoping to have a little left over this time
  • dunwoodyegg
    dunwoodyegg Posts: 15
    edited September 2015
    Agree with the posts.....pic of my last butt. ok.  
  • feef706
    Agree with the posts.....pic of my last butt. ok.  
    You were able to keep liquid in the pan? I tried it and it turned to tar and did cause a temp spike as I had read it might
  • I added more water to the pan towards the end of the cook.
  • feef706
    Awoke to this, 7.5 hours in, both sitting steady at 180.
  • feef706
    The butt in the back was reading 200 in several places after 9.5 hours so I pulled it to FTC, the bigger butt up front is 198 currently after 11.5 hours, both cooked faster than I expected by keeping the grill at 250 vs last cook at 225.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    feef706 said:

You were able to keep liquid in the pan? I tried it and it turned to tar and did cause a temp spike as I had read it might
    Sounds like you didn't use spacers of some sort to keep the pan from resting directly on the hot PS. At least that works for me so well that I never put any liquid in my disposable drip pans.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    With all I mentioned above, I failed to let you know that the hottest area of a BGE is toward the back hinge.  The air-flow setup contributes.  But the pig still drives the cook.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Just put an 8lb on myself
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • feef706
    Guess I should have put the larger butt in the back, 2nd is off now. Will post one last once shredded. Thanks for all the advice.
  • feef706
    Just put an 8lb on myself
    What time you shooting to be done for and what temp you cooking? It's amazing how much they shrink. Is your 2nd probe just laying on the grate?
  • I am shooting for sometime between 6-8pm tonight.  I am between 275-300 grate temp.  The second probe is just sitting on the grate because the metal bracket that hold it broke, I figured something is better than nothing.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • feef706
    I am shooting for sometime between 6-8pm tonight.  I am between 275-300 grate temp.  The second probe is just sitting on the grate because the metal bracket that hold it broke, I figured something is better than nothing.
    So you opt for a higher temp, shorter cook on butts? That would be a lot better than starting butts at midnight as I have been doing. Please post the finished product.
  • lousubcap
    @feef706 - give the following a go;
    "Butts are very forgiving-you can cook anywhere from the low 200's (as you experienced) up to turbo temps (300*F+)  and still get a great result.
    If you want more on turbo, try the search function here or use google and add "big green egg" to your query."
  • feef706
    I will try that method next time. Thanks, no reason to lose sleep if not necessary.