Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PAVER UNDER MY EGG

Options
I have a 16x16x2 paver between my table and the bottom of my large egg, after looking around it may be a problem
looking for opinion

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean you just realized that you also need air space underneath. You can buy a metal stand from your dealer or you can go to a good nursery and buy 3 pot feet which are made of fired ceramic. They are cheap and do the trick. Even Lowes carries pot feet.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I just use three 4 x 8 pavers spaced, because I haven't got around to buying table nest yet, works for me. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Danielson
    Options
    I framed six fire bricks to raise my egg up off my table. Works great and gives me good work space. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Get a table nest or a similar alternative. There have been numerous fires as a result of not leaving an air gap. It might take years for the wood to dry out and get charred enough to combust, but that one day when the conditions are just right could be a doozie. Every single one of the eggers with a table fire said it was fine right up until it wasn't. Not worth the risk. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Just like when you are cooking, it is all about air flow, an air gap under the egg is safe and advisable. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dogfoot
    Options
    Better safe than sorry, nest is on order  Thanks for the help
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I recommend the table nest. I bought one and never put it under my egg. I had mine sitting on a 2 inch thick piece of granite which was sitting on another 2 inch thick piece of granite . After only one year of use like this the permanent piece of granite cracked (the bottom piece in the pic is what cracked). I was nearly devastated. But now I have the table nest and the air gap really does make a huge difference, the granite underneath barely gets warm now.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have used three pavers pushed together with the original ceramic feet on the pavers.  That seems to be very good for airspace under the Egg. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am glad you weren't fully "devastated" Kevin! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I am glad you weren't fully "devastated" Kevin! 
    Me too, my eyes haven't recovered from the last devastated person.