Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probing lets the juice out, no?

Options

I recently did a turbo pork butt and was disappointed with the results.  It was dry. I have, in the past, been very successful with the turbo method.  This time I think I had several things working against me:

• The 8.5# butt was from a half hog we got from a friend.  All of the meat has been very lean.
  • When I inserted the Maverick probe, it registered 32.  So, it wasn't quite thawed.
  • I overshot the temp a bit.  Didn't actually pull it off the egg until it was about 207. When it registered 198, I pulled the probe to check another spot and it was held in pretty snuggly, so I let it go further.
  • At 207, as I probed in a few places to check for that perfect feel, I watched, in horror, as juice trickled out.

So...my real question: Isn't probing just creating highways for the wonderful juice to escape?

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No I don't believe your probe caused this. Likely pulled it too late. I have a co-worker that has a smaller family farm. The pigs, hogs, cattle etc tend to be lean but, delicious :smiley:  Leaner cut=quicker pull when compared to a fattier cut. I'm in the L&S camp anyway but, even if I weren't I'd go L&S on leaner cut like this. But, beyond that without pics etc it would be my guess temp was overshot way before the 207℉ mark and it went from buttuh to tough real quick. IT is a great indicator but, feel should be an even bigger part. Trust your senses. Cheers
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    no

enjoy a nice juicy hamburger now and then?  that meat has been treated much worse than poking once with a probe.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It lets some juice out but the sensation of juiciness comes from all the connective tissue being broken down and the resulting gelatin and fat combined with soft meat.

If it seemed dry, usually it's undercooked.  It takes a lot to overcook a butt.  It being lean could exacerbate the problem.

Add some finishing sauce. 

No, stabbing it isn't the reason, to answer your question.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I've only ruined one Boston Butt and it was overdone. I can agree underdone would have have been dry and tough also. But, at 207℉ IT I can't imagine that being the case here. I've had lean one's probe buttuh/bone wiggle free at 185-190 IT before. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - I agree with you.  I said "usually".  It takes a lot to over cook a butt.  But that could be the problem, and if it were lean and pulled at that temp, what little moisture in it would be a cloud of steam floating above the pork....