Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Caring For Your Butcher Block Help

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a used Boos block a month or so ago and it's been absolutely fantastic. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a descent cutting board sooner. The butcher block came with Boos butcher block oil. Unfortunately the instructions have started to disappear from the bottle. What I've somewhat gathered is that you wipe the board with oil and let it sit overnight. Wipe off the next morning. The oil or bottle needs to be warmed up? The oil can be flammable so I would guess the bottle needs to warmed up in some sort of warm water bath? It says something with warming up on the instructions.... 

Do you guys also use the Boos cream?

Thanks for the help
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    I can't help with your question but....several folks on another site that build butcher block products have told me that Mineral oil can be used between the use of the cream....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Just found my wifesstash of butcher block maintenance stuff. The mineral oil is from Walgreens...and she uses Boos Block Board Cream. This particular product doesn't make mention of warming it in any fashion 
  • I usually use straight mineral oil, which does not require any heating.  I have also added paraffin wax to mineral oil and heated that slightly to melt the wax, and applied this mixture to areas prone to water that may need extra protection.  That may be the case of the Boos oil - it is a mixture of a more saturated oil that is prone to solidifying, hence the heating instructions?   
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I brush on mineral oil.  It will be soaked up faster in some places.  Anyway, keep brushing it on after it soaks in.  Keep it wet with the mineral oil until it can't take any more.  It's also a good idea to do the bottom.
    dougcrann said:
    I can't help with your question but....several folks on another site that build butcher block products have told me that Mineral oil can be used between the use of the cream....
    @dougcrann Thanks for the tip! It sounds like the oil is the "car wash" and the cream is the "wax" for butcher blocks.

Just not sure as this Boos Mystery Oil bottle looks a little old school compared to the new Boos Mystery Oil. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    I usually use straight mineral oil, which does not require any heating.  I have also added paraffin wax to mineral oil and heated that slightly to melt the wax, and applied this mixture to areas prone to water that may need extra protection.  That may be the case of the Boos oil - it is a mixture of a more saturated oil that is prone to solidifying, hence the heating instructions?   
    @BizGreenEgg Much appreciated!  When taking a look in the bottle it looks like to be part mineral oil and part wax chunks. I'll have to slowly warm it up somehow.  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho

I brush on mineral oil.  It will be soaked up faster in some places.  Anyway, keep brushing it on after it soaks in.  Keep it wet with the mineral oil until it can't take any more.  It's also a good idea to do the bottom.
    @nolaegghead Thanks for the tips. I have to put in order for some exterior siding at Menards tonight. I'll grab a couple new brushes for the oil. Good call about doing the bottom.

Do you let it sit overnight?

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I use the board cream. I put on about 1-2 tbsp on the board and rub it in. The next morning I wipe it with a paper towel.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I use the board cream. I put on about 1-2 tbsp on the board and rub it in. The next morning I wipe it with a paper towel.
    Sounds like a good Saturday night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    DMW said:
    Sounds like a good Saturday night.
    That's got to be pretty embarrassing for his wife.
    edited September 2015
    3/4 mineral oil to 1/4 food grade bees wax.  Works great and give a barrier that doesn't have to be applied quite as often.  Heat it up, use what you need and then store the mixture for next time.  Much better than mineral oil by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/100%-ORGANIC-Hand-Poured-Beeswax/dp/B00455IWK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442285715&sr=8-1&keywords=food+grade+bees+wax
    Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get the board cream just wipe it on once a month or so.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I use a product called BeeKeeper's Gold. It is a natural beeswax and mineral oil blend. I use on my knife handles, cutting boards and wooden salad bowls. Happy with it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    In my commercial kitchen we have oiled the boards up a couple times and let sit overnight for a couple days in a row prior to using them. We oiled Boos boards the first week after every use each day, then a couple times a year after that. I have never had a board split or splinter, EVER. We only use Canola oil.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    been using this, Howard Naturals Butcher Block Conditioner , on an end grain boos block for about 15 years now, mineral oil and wax.  mostly just use it in the drier months about twice a year. it needs to be warmed up and shaken and applied overnight once the whole top looks wet, then wipe it down in the morning

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Mineral oil is used because it's extremely stable and is odorless and colorless.  The food grade is a mixture of alkanes.  It's not susceptible to oxidation (turning rancid) like vegetable (triglycerides) oil.  Beeswax is often added to make it more viscous and fill the pores of the wood better on the outside.
    edited September 2015
    @Eggcelsior
    @blasting
    @Lit
    @northGAcock
    @hondabbq
    @fishlessman
    @BizGreenEgg

@dougcrann

Thank you guys for the tips and suggestions. Definitely will help me go in the right direction  

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I just use cheap mineral oil (unheated) and rub it on both sides and the edges. I do this regularly... at least every year or two!! =) My 2" end grain block is about 10 years old and in great shape, which truly surprises me! Not Boos though, "Catskill" brand. Yeah, I never heard of it either. No idea what kind of wood though it's not maple. Dark like walnut, but it isn't.

It stays on the counter right next to the sink. I have it on feet so that the inevitable water splash doesn't get the wood wet underneath. The feet are not attached, more like spacers, so I can flip it over and use the other side.

Writing this has inspired me! I just oiled my board and it looks almost new! 

TIP... Don't remove the foil seal from the squeeze bottle. Just poke a pinhole in it and you'll have a handy applicator when it's time to oil the board again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Thanks for the suggestion and tip @Carolina Q 

Minnesota