Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Severe temp drop overnight

Options
I've done probably 10+ brisket cooks, always have the temp drop on me some overnight. But my finished products are so good I never worry about it anymore, don't even set the alarms on my Maverick. Last night I went to bed with 265/171 dome/meat and woke up this morning to 164/144! The fire hadn't completely gone out because I was able to revive it by opening the vents and blowing at the bottom a couple times. I'm just wondering what caused the fire to choke out so bad... I have a large BGE, initially filled to plate setter level with very large lump on the bottom. When I went to bed the bottom vent was about 1/8" and the daisy just a little cracked (plus room in the main wheel for my maverick wire) as usual for low and slow. Anyone have similar temp drop issues like this before? Any idea where I went wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    The reason is an air-flow reduction. Likely an ash build-up that led to the problem.  As you note, obviously corrected when you increased the air-flow.  Sounds like you took the standard precautions of large lump on the bottom etc but sometimes the way the fire travels around the lump load can lead to unintended consequences.  But sounds like all is well now.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I concur with @lousubcap on ash production caused lack of oxygen to the fire triangle. At least it hadn't completely snuffed out. Enjoy the grub. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • xjwheelr
    Options
    I kind of figured. Thanks guys.