Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOW LONG CAN I FTC?

Options
my 3 pork butts are done a little earlier than I need.  (It is 10am now).   I don't need them until 5pm.  I have to transport them to dinner location.   If I stick them in the Yeti while FTC will they be ok until 5pm or do I need to put them in the fridge?

Comments

• Tettletime
    Options
    I've held a brisket FTC in a crappy old Coleman cooler for up to 8 hours and still hot to the touch. I would think a Yeti can hold even longer. I think you should be fine.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put them in the Yeti and leave it closed.  You'll be fine.
    I wouldn't be worried in the least. You'll be fine.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • busmania
    Options
    Pre heat the cooler with a pot of boiling water.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You can wrap in foil and place in your oven with the oven on warm feature.  You'll be golden. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    You will have no problem. I routinely do 2 pork butts in a Yeti 45 for 8 hours and they come out steaming hot. 

Wrap them in two layers of foil so they don't funk up your yeti. Make sure that any dead space in the cooler is filled with towels.
  • JohnnyMims
    Options
    Noob question here:  What does FTC stand for?
    LBGE - Kansas City, MO
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Foil,towel, cooler
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    And the towel isn't necessary.
    Options
    No problem.  I had a brisket in FTC from 10.5 hrs. last weekend.  Your good!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    towels are a waste of time

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2015
    Options

• nolaegghead
    Options
    ...and some are perpetually high...
    Options

True, a towel might not help the brisket but it can help protect a low end cooler from a 200+ degree foiled brisket.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i would recommend burping the cooler about every 1.5 hours for a few seconds....in doing that you will allow the cooler to keep the meat warm without causing it to continue cooking the meat far past the temp you sought.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    that's true, photo egg.  i use a small six-pack size cooler that came with a larger coleman cooler for free.  i putt a fire brick in there (in a towle) to keep it warm, and the thing melted to the bottom.  :)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    msloan said:
    i would recommend burping the cooler about every 1.5 hours for a few seconds....in doing that you will allow the cooler to keep the meat warm without causing it to continue cooking the meat far past the temp you sought.  
    Just let your meat rest for 20-30 minutes after coming off of the egg. That will help eliminate carry-over cooking. Once done, meat at 180(or what ever temp it's at) will never go over 180 unless you apply more heat to it.
  • msloan
    Options
    msloan said:
    Just let your meat rest for 20-30 minutes after coming off of the egg. That will help eliminate carry-over cooking. Once done, meat at 180(or what ever temp it's at) will never go over 180 unless you apply more heat to it.
    i hear what you're saying, but I respectfully still would recommend burping the cooler.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the op is safe, but how long can the yeti go =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    msloan said:
    msloan said:
    i hear what you're saying, but I respectfully still would recommend burping the cooler.  
    ??? All that is going to do is make the cooler lose heat faster, meaning the meat cools faster. Same effect as opening a cooler over and over again with ice - it melts faster.

It's more of an "either/or" proposition. You don't need to do both. Meat cooks outside-in. Once that gradient has equalized(during the rest), no over-cooking can happen. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    what ^ said.  and any carryover cooking is going to have happened long before that first 'burp' after an an hour and a half.

in fact, carryover is gonna happen sitting on the counter, in the cooler, wherever.  just not for an hour and a half.  whiz's chart shows the temp level and then slowly dropping anyway.  it can't get hotter.

• msloan
    Options
    look guys, I aint arguing......I got this info directly from a person that has made a living cooking BBQ for over 20 years and has dealt with this stuff directly hundreds of times during that time frame.  

it made sense to me because I have experienced the problem of a perfectly cooked butt at the time of removing it from the cooking process then later became a bit too mushy for my tastes......then I started doing what I was advised to do by the expert I consulted and the results were better for me.

I dont really care what anyone else does, if your method works for you, then great!  I am simply offering info I got from someone way smarter than me that worked for me when I started doing it.  I thought I would help out by offering it here.

no harm no foul, do what you want.  for me, I will continue to do it.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    aber das ist nicht richtig

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I always let my butts, briskets, etc cool in the open air for at least 30 minutes...longer the closer serving time is, before keeping warm in a cooler.