Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Rotisserie Game Hen with pressure cooked collards!

Options
A few years ago, pre-BGE, I needed to replace my tiny toaster oven. I also wanted something I could use to bake popovers while I did meat in my oven. So, I found an oversized toaster oven that was tall enough to  accommodate popovers. Well, it also happened to have a rotisserie!!! 

I haven't done popovers in quite a while but I LOVE throwing a game hen or a small chicken on the spit! Max temp (350° I think) for one hour. Perfect every time!! And no charcoal to mess with! LOL Still, I wish I had a rotisserie for the egg, or even the Weber.

Just took a game hen off the spit, served with pressure cooked collards (5 minutes) and a sliced tomato. Great, healthy meal and the hardest part is the clean up! Love my new PC!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    How's you camera work? Dinner sounds delicious. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How's you camera work? Dinner sounds delicious. 
    Ha, I figured I was pushin' it with OT anyway so no pics. But you're right - it was delicious!! Wish I had "discovered" the pressure cooker before now too!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    Options
    I've had one for 3 years and haven't even taken the stinkin thing out if the box. You've about motivated me to bust it out now that I know I can cook collards in three minutes. That's ludicrous. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well, that's weird. Delay in posting, so it double posted. Anyway, I think pictures of OT cooks is just fine. Helps folks get an idea of what's possible. We all cook many different ways on different appliances. Yes, including the kitchen clock.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Two of my favorite appliances too. Nothing like a chicken on a rotisserie. I'm firing up the pressure cooker tonight for chicken soup after a brief sinus infection and the realization that I was out of chicken soup in the freezer, lol. Gotta fix that.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've had one for 3 years and haven't even taken the stinkin thing out if the box. You've about motivated me to bust it out now that I know I can cook collards in three minutes. That's ludicrous. 
    Actually, 5 minutes, but who's counting. LOL Dried beans are just as quick, even unsoaked beans only take 25 or 30 minutes.

https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

I cooked a 3-4 lb butt the other day just for grins. 75 minutes as I recall. Wasn't great, but wasn't awful either. I ate every last bite anyway.

So do it already!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut