Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Springs for large top

Options

Does anybody here know which is the correct assist spring for the large cover?

Mine will no longer hold the top up, they are stretched out a bit too much.

Thanks

Carbonizer

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bge has sent me springs before when i broke mine, if its an older egg they used a few different springs before working it out. it might not be the springs though, check the egg with a level, it doesnt have to be off much for the lid to drop. more likely the bolts that hold the spring bottom has gotten loose, those bolts need to be tight and perpendicular with the hinge, check those two bolts  first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    HEY Carbonizer!!! Good to see you stopped by, buddy! - been a long time!!! Fishless gave you the great advice, but I'd also check your dealer as they may have an idea let alone replacement springs. I hope you don't service Chicago's shooting gallery district. I'd say if they need plumbing work too bad!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carbonizer
    Options

Thanks for the tip, I checked that already, egg is pretty old.

Ron, Nice hearing from you. No more trips downtown, I retired 1-1/2 years ago. Hardly ever had to go to the bad side of town as all my work was in high rise buildings. I do have one funny story though, we were putting a new pump system in a church/school on the south side, our electrician noticed a outlet dangling from the wall, it was dead so he removed it and put a cover on it.

When the pastor noticed it he asked about it and said they use it on Sundays for Baptisms. Turns out the had a walk-in baptismal and they put a couple of electric charcoal lighters in the water to heat it up. Scary!!!!!!!!!!!

Still here in Hellinois for now, we bought a house in Florida and are moving this fall, no snow, golf and fish!!

Brought my Medium down south last fall and have a Mini and Large here, will take the mini back down and leave the large for my son. He's getting the hang of Egging, make some great blackened grouper last night.

Everything good by you??

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    just make sure to bring the spring with you to the dealer,but after maybe 2004 i think they may all be the same now, these were late 2000 to 2003 notice all three are different, the middle one was mine tat broke

b7def16ajpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Thanks Fishless, it was because the table wasn't level. I just replaced the top to hold a large and a mini and I moved it to another spot close by which was just enough to throw it off.