Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time vs Temp---

Options
GaryDZ
GaryDZ Posts: 23
Reasonably new to cooking Boston Butts.   My 1st one was the best I ever had.  I have not been able to make another as good.   Second one never made it to 195F  It stalled at 189 for 4+ hours and I quit after the cook time was approaching 2.5 hours / pound.   That one ended up dry--no suprise.  But I was waiting til 195... 

Today, I am cooking a 8.5#   I am now at 180F after 17 hours (2 hours/pound).  Cooking just below 250F.

So do I take it off now or continue util I get a core temp of 195??

I used 2 different thermometers, so I am sure they are accurate.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If time is an issue go ahead and bump the cooking temp up to 300-350°.  Won't hurt a thing.  If your rub has a higher sugar content I would keep it around 300 because the sugar will scorch at 350.  Or you can wrap in HDAF and power it on home.  

Just a thought on the one butt that was dry. It was prolly not done breaking down all the fat inside yet. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GaryDZ
    Options
    Mattman---  thanks for your input.   Its now wrapped and temp up to 300f.  I'll  give it another hour.   the meat probe goes in easy... almost like butter.  

I made a mistake above... the core temp is 170f--not 180.  That is after a little more than 2hr/pound at 235f

The dry one pulled real easy...  but was dry and stringy (because it was dry).

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    If you don't trust it, try twisting the bone. It's done when it twists easily.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Always cook to "feel". Often this falls inline with temp. Never time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above, time is only a guide.  The pork or beef or whatever is always done "whenever its done" and that can be across a wide range of finish temps.  And yes, that can challenge the "when do we eat" question.  Enjoy one of the better cooking platforms going.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cooking times are just rough guides as to when to start checking for doneness.  Your 2hr/pound for a 235º cook is well within normal range.

As for cooking time, there is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough:
    225º:  2 hours a pound
    250º: 1.5 hours a pound
    280º:  1 hour per pound
    350º:  45 mins per pound

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GaryDZ
    Options
    Thanks.... Part of that is why I had to question.   I know time is only a guide... and its done when its done.  

My problem was the one butt never made it to 190...  and it was very over done by the time I through in the towel.  

This might be a BETTER question.  

Should I judge it by how it feels... or by the core temp?   Current core temp is only 173.... it has been on for 18 hours (8.5#) .  It cooked at 235 over night.  I raised the temp to 325 about 40 min ago.   It is still a long way to 190-195.  could be hours 

It looks done...  feels nice and soft.    I did not try a fork on it.  

• GaryDZ
    Options
    The nice part about it....  even a "failed" experiment taste great.

• lousubcap
    Options
    As above, If bone-in then " if the bone pulls clean you are there" if resistance, then let it ride.  And you may want to check the thermo calibration...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    One thing I have noticed is that it is easier to get good results as the butt gets bigger.  My guess is that under 4 pounds, the portion may loose too much water as it cooks. My understanding is that most meat is about 50% water by weight, and that has to migrate out before the chunk can exceed 212F boiling temperature. Thinner pieces dry faster. I like at least 7 pound pieces.

Also, if the temp at the surface is too high, the outside becomes charred, and the internal water cannot escape the crust of burnt meat. The pork shouldn't be too tough, but the burnt bark will be dry as a bone.

And, commercial pork is not very fatty, or exercised much. Fat and tough is what turns into good BBQ.
  • GaryDZ
    Options
    I did check Therm calibration.... 2 different ones 2 degrees apart.  

It is up to 181F so it is slow and steady climbing.  I'll let it ride a while.  

• lousubcap
    Options
    Good call with the "let ride".  Most pork cooks don't declare victory til the low 200's*F.  And don't be surprised if you see a second stall in the high 180's -low 190's.  The pig can mess with you  ;)
  • GaryDZ
    Options

Thanks for the advice everyone....It came out perfect,  the best I made so far. 

8.5 pound Boston Butt
    18 hours at 235F
    1.5 hours at 300F, wrapped in foil

Fall off the bone tender---  bark the way I like it.  
    Moist and mouth watering
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mmmm, falling to bits. Long wait is also a special spice.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good job!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks good. :plus_one:

For future reference, butts don't necessarily need timed nor temped. Just use approximate times and go by feel. When it probes like butter it's done. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • j_smith7
    Options
    @GaryDZ, these guys taught me last week that time doesn't always necessarily matter. The butt looks phenomenal!