Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chasing the flavor profile-

Options
Many times (especially with wings) I have found a recipe that contains a few ingredients that have a definite impact on the final profile.  Invariably, I am in the "more of this" then "more of that"  etc til I either get what I am after or just "declare victory" after the back and forth has gotten out-of-control.  Others?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I totally get that, and more importantly, I have put together a rub mix that seems to go well on all beef, poultry, pork, lamb, seafood, and vegetables. It took about 4 months, but, I think I got it. I am not a good enough chef, and I am too lazy to dial in with seasonings per dish.
    I suppose it is a compromise, but if prepped correctly, smoked on the egg, how bad can it be? My answer is, not at all, my neighbors and family absolutely loves what comes to the table, and I get more time with my beautiful wife, family and friends, not to mention a couple more adult beverages, too. 
    I love the egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I rarely follow a recipe to the letter. I fall in the camp where exact recipes are for baking. I cook by knowing the flavor profiles I like. When I get out of my comfort zone, I will at least consult a recipe as a guide, otherwise I don't even do that.