Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Could it be?! Another first brisket post!! Pics started.

Options
noregard
noregard Posts: 306
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Wow, seems like I'm in good company this weekend doing my first brisket, there's a lot of us!

The butcher says it's AA grade, I'm not sure how that correlates to US grading, but it's very floppy so that's a good start I suppose.  The prices have gone up considerably as of late, a few months ago this would have been $60.

Molly approves!

I'm not sure yet about rub, lots say a simple 50/50 S&P, but I'm pretty intrigued by Adam Perry Langs 'Get a book brisket', but that seems like a lot of work.  I'll probably keep it simple… hopefully no wrap, spritzing with apple cider vinegar/apple juice mix after a few hours (or it starts getting too dark).  

Going to use hickory and pecan wood chunks (2 of each), hoping to keep it just under 275*.  Planning to eat about 6pm, I'd like to have it done by 2pm to give me some buffer room and the chance to do burnt ends if I'm feeling ambitious. 

After the brisket comes off I'll be doing ABT's for an appy. 

Since I'll be up late I"m also putting almost 9 lbs of venison jerky on the dehydrators.  

Probably missing something, but the Mrs wants to have a birthday shot, and me to get the MM going for nachos.  Talk soon.
Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Floppy is good. Welcome to the club. Oh and GBR!  ;) Doing a packer this weekend too. Enjoy the ride my friend. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • noregard
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  Thanks man, looking forward to some pics from you as always.  GBR????
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Go Big Red!  Huskers!  My bad thought you were a Husker fan too. Either way. GBR!!! :rock_on:  So....watcha gonna rub it with?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • noregard
    Options
    Here's the birthday girl with her Christmas present  

• noregard
    Options
    Ok, here's something I haven't thought about or read about I don't think…

Do I use my platesetter with the factory grid, or the AR with possibly a raised grid??

I'm fairly sure I'll need to prop the brisket up with a rib rack to get it started if that factors in at all.

Another thing that's throwing me now is where to put my temp probe in the meat.  Most everyone seems to say the fattier point, but Playing with Fire and Smoke seems to say it should go in the thinner flat because that will be done sooner??

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited September 2015
    Options
    my suggestion would be S&P. temp probe in the thickest part of the flat. no reason to put in point...it cooks much faster. I use the platesetter and factory grid all the time with no problem. good luck! I also would not spritz. no need. if you are looking you ain't cooking......  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • noregard
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  Now I'm thinking of using some BGE Cosmic Cow rub.  All spice with no sugars according to the label.

@lovetheegg thanks for the suggestions.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I see you have a LBGE, you may have to fold the brisket under itself to get it to fit.  I had to do that and it still turned out perfect so don't worry about it if you have to do that.  I believe I folded a bit of the flat under itself.  I have also seen a few others here needing to fold it as well.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    noregard said:
    Here's the birthday girl with her Christmas present  

Since everyone in Alta is issued a rifle at birth, I assume the present is the rustic retreat in the background?  :) 
    i may seriously consider retiring out there. The fly fishing alone makes it worth it. Love the countryside. The picture makes me jealous. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • noregard
    Options
    @gmac , I truly wish that was my land but it belongs to a friend, I'm stuck in the city an hour away.  Alberta definitely has some of the most amazing landscapes in the world, we're lucky enough to have a bit of everything, except for ocean front I suppose.
  • noregard
    Options
    I'm really getting nervous about this brisket, hard to tell if it's done or not.  My thermo is reading 184* in the flat now (it was at 191*, I moved it a couple inches and found a colder spot so I'm watching there now.) 

It's been on for 12 hours at an average of 250* dome.  Brisket started out 12.3lbs, I trimmed lbs… hoping I didn't over do it.

I can't help but think that it's drying out  in the flat, but with a temp of only 184 and resistance to probing I'm thinking it needs more time.

I've spritzed it 3 times in the last 5 hours.

Thoughts???
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Have another adult beverage.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• noregard
    Options
    Ha! Point taken.