Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine vs Injection vs Both

Options
GaryDZ
GaryDZ Posts: 23
There was a discussion last week about a Brine soak of Salt and Molasses vs Injection with apple/grape juice, sugar and Worcestershire.  

I was wondering if doing both to a 10# butt would be too much....  Has anyone here done both at once.  There was no mention of doing both.

Any advice?   

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of extra work for nothing, IMHO. Rub it down with your favorite rub and let it go. The Egg does the rest!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Brining has the best effect on lean meats w. little connective tissue. Some salt soaks into the flesh, carrying small amount of water soluble flavors w. it. The salt holds extra water in the flesh while it cooks.

Butts usually have too much fat for the brine to work around, and enough connective tissue that water loss is offset by gel formation.

I haven't found injection very effective on butts. Seems like most of it leaks out.

Its a lot more effective to have a heavy layer of rub. The different liquids used in the injection will have plenty of flavor if used in a sauce at the end.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    inject when the connective tissue is breaking doen during the cook, around 175/180 internal, no mess when done in the egg and it will take more liquid. i use a watery vinegar sauce sometimes like they do with whole hog cooks. dont use a heavy sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaryDZ
    Options
    inject when the connective tissue is breaking doen during the cook, around 175/180 internal, no mess when done in the egg and it will take more liquid. i use a watery vinegar sauce sometimes like they do with whole hog cooks. dont use a heavy sauce
    I'll give that a try... Seems to make good sense to wait until it is cooking.  

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would just cook straight with a rub, it will be really tender and juicy when it is done.  Add a sauce when you pull to kick up the flavor.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY