Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggestions for a meat slicer

Options
I am getting more into charcuteries and making my own lunch meats. I'm ready to buy a slicer but don't want to spend more than about $500. Any suggestions in that range?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd try to find a used Hobart on craigslist or ebay. 
    I'd try to find a used Hobart on craigslist or ebay. 
    I knew they made incredible mixers. Didn't even think to look at slicers. They look to be about the right price. Little more but can slice cheese too.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I used to have one.  They're huge and heavy on the down side but they can cut tissue-thin slices with ease.
    Options
    How often do you plan to use it and how badly do you plan to beat it up? This will sound REALLY strange but a cheap $35 slicer I bought 38 or 39 years ago still serves our needs! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Get a real one. Craigslist as nola says. 
    Anything you can buy in an appliance store only looks like a slicer. It will frustrate you more than anything. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hobart is about as good as you can ask for but expensive. Vollrath makes a good one as well but its a step down from Hobart. No matter what brand that you end up with, just remember the more power the better.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Also the 13" blade or larger is what you want.
    Options
    definitely get a real one off craigs as suggested. i bought a 200 dollar cheap one back ten years ago and you could really see it wearing out after 20 or so roasts, slices go from thin on one end to thick on the other now and im sure its going to throw the blade someday =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it