Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Salmon on Tuesday

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
Did a super simple dinner last night, maple planked salmon, dusted with raging river.  I cooked raised indirect at a low temp, about 320 to slowly cook the fish.  Served with sautéed red cabbage and some sautéed green beans with garlic and preserved lemon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Nice!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • redharley13
    Options
    DP recipe for the salmon with the butter and maple syrup is my favorite way in the world to eat it.

• Mim-the-beam
    Options
    Looks like you forgot to sand the edges of your "plank"!   I'll be right over!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's what I love to see after 30 minutes of night-trolling.  A lovely raging salmon cook.  Fine work my friend.  Although I must remark, indirect defeats the purpose of planking, which is for the plank to smoke.
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    That's what I love to see after 30 minutes of night-trolling.  A lovely raging salmon cook.  Fine work my friend.  Although I must remark, indirect defeats the purpose of planking, which is for the plank to smoke.
    Thank you all.

On the direct v. indireect issue I disagree - planking definitely has different notes thank if I cooked with chips in the coals.  Also, why would they make planks for the oven? 

According to Kenji the purpose of planking is picking up flavor due to the direct contact between wood and the fish.  After looking at that I may need to try the charred method, perhaps with some bourbon flavor in a glaze.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stompbox
    Options
    Can you reuse planks?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Can you reuse planks?
    I do and did last night, but I cook my Salmon indirect though.  I want to try a salt block at some point.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Acn, good looking food.  I did some Salmon last night as you see above in my post.  I used Raging River too, but mine is salt free so I added some,  but I am not really tasting anything from it.  The fish was good, but needed a little more to it.  Squeezed an orange over it and added some honey too, but I think next time I try something different for a marinade. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Acn - yeah, I read that.  The wood has to be very (smoldering) hot to pick up any direct contact flavor.  Wood is fairly inert which is why it's used for cooking spoons and cutting boards.   When it starts smoldering, it's releasing orders of magnitude more chemicals and flavor. I can see getting some subtle flavor from a softwood like alder or cedar if it's just super hot but not smoldering.  Anyway, it's not a big deal...there's a novelty cooking on a plank that's bigger than the flavor.
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Can you reuse planks?
    Absolutely.