Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ancient freezer finds-I'm sure they are out there

Options
Recent threads got me thinking-neighbor and I share a deep chest freezer.  Anything that gets ingested comes out rock solid.  So, during an infrequent freezer dive I came across an 18 lb turkey (yup-just happened along) that had been hibernating for 3 1/2 + years (my story and his-"I thought it was yours").  No worries-fired up the BGE and it was mighty tasty.  (No pics as it didn't happen...) .   So, I'm not sure of the outer limits but no fear if under 4 years frozen for me.  YMMV-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lou, if everything you ingest comes out rock solid, you need more water and fiber in your diet.

I'd consider adding a stool softener nightly as well.

Just some friendly advice, after talking you literally.  =)
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Lou, if everything you ingest comes out rock solid, you need more water and fiber in your diet.

I'd consider adding a stool softener nightly as well.

Just some friendly advice, after talking you literally.  =)
     :o  :o
    :rofl: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - Somehow when I wrote the above it was meant as a compliment to the friggin freezer...and personally I will not go much further up that road but I do have pictures of those boroscope events :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@lousubcap - that road is meant to go down... not up:)

I kid. I pulled something out of the freezer at the 3 year mark - an Indian meatball curry that my mom had made - some years ago. It had travelled from Chicago to Iowa when we moved. Tasted great , so my conclusion was that Indian food cant get freezer-burned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    My best was a 9.5 years find. I use to be a broker for foodservice and had a 10 lb log of bulk sausage. I used it for a fatty and lots of sides
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Food cannot become unsafe to eat in a freezer. The USDA advises that food properly kept frozen will be safe "indefinitely" (their word).  Essentially forever. 

Now QUALITY may degrade (freezer burn, ice crystals, etc.), but that is not a safety issue

if the package (think cryovac) is tight and unbroken, there's no reason to throw the food out. Ten years in a freezer is not 'bad', unless you packaged it so poorly that it's freezer burnt. Even then, still safe to eat. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Must be freezer diving week.  Pulled 2 1/2 lbs triple tail fish that had been food savered with a mar '06 date.  Baked it in oven 'cause it was raining real bad here, lemon juice, thin sliced tomato, mayo mixed w/parmesan and topped with panko.  Baked 375 25 min.  pulled at 165TF.  Great many years after caught. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Richard Fl - that may be a record for the dive. Just goes to show you-obviously no extended power outages during that run.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It reminded me I needed to go freezer diving for this.

:smiley:

5 days should defrost it. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Richard Fl
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Going to the freezer now.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Richard Fl - that may be a record for the dive. Just goes to show you-obviously no extended power outages during that run.  

In '94/'95 hurricane Erin blew my neighborhood transformer and had no power for 6 days.  cleaned out all the freezers and fed the neighbors.  Had a gas stove, but not yet my second kamado/BGE.  Now I have 4 BGEs, a 5500 watt generator, 4 frig/freezers and plenty of charcoal.  Just missed a hurricane this weekend, but it has been raining on and off since last night and my  large has 2 slabs ribs for dinner going.  Stay safe wherever you are.  You get snow/ice, I just get hurricanes.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Richard FL- in my 17 years here we actually did get the backside of hurricane Ike in 2008.  And since I live at the end of the local power universe we were without power for 8+ days.  And after a few 2 day outages earlier I did have a generator ( 6KW) at the ready.  If you are gonna lose power up here, best in the warm months.  Went thru a 2+ day outage in Feb and that was a chilling eggsperience.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Cleaned mine out when my freezer died a couple of months ago, but I do have a few redfish and speckled trout filets lurking somewhere in my fridge freezers that have a couple of years on them.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I got rid of my deep freeze years ago because I got tired of always eating old food from it.  Even with just the fridge/freezer I occasionally find ziplocs I dated up to 2 years old, but for the most part, most is consumed within 6 months.  I know old freezer food is safe to eat, but fresher is better.

And while I know much of what I buy at the grocery market meat wise is quite often "previously frozen", I no longer have the storage capacity to find large hunks of meat from bygone eras in my freezer.  What I do store in my freezer is mostly re-packaged by me.  I buy about 5 lbs of beef to grind into hamburger and then make 1/2 lb balls to freeze.  1/2 lb seems to work fine for my family of 3 for a meal minimizing how much leftovers I end up with after making dinner.  I buy family packs of thighs and/or drumsticks, and then re-package into 4 per quart size ziploc.  I no longer will stumble upon a whole ham/turkey/boston butt/slab o' tritip/rack of ribs etc in my freezer.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.