Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost had a foodgasm...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum

Beef ribs have been "holy grail" status for some time. I can never find good ones in the stores - just poor bony things packaged as beef ribs. The short ribs look better usually, but nothing like the humongous dino bones that folks post up here.

And now recently there have been a slew of beef ribs cooked. I've been soooo jealous. Someone (@Legume ?) mentioned that Sam's might have what I needed, but no dice. Went yesterday and struck out, but the meat guy said to come today in the morning and he would have them (chuck or plate ribs I think they're called). Swung by this morning, and a different guy there told me that he would only sell me the whole cryopac (4 racks of plate ribs) and would not sell any separately. Screw him. Went over to HEB to try my luck... and scored big time.

Rubbed em down with yellow mustard,  Slap Ya Mama Hot, and John Henry Mojave Garlic Pepper in that order. Fired up the LBGE with several pecan chunks, and Fogo. Slapped the Flameboss on to keep it at 300°F, indirect.  Meat went on at 2pm, pulled at 6ish. Ramped up to 350 for the last hour or so.

Threw some stuffed shrooms from HEB on afterwards - mozzarella, spinach, and dusted with Meatchurch Honey Hog Hot.

Plated with  a bagged salad.

The rib in the pic is the smallest one from the end. I could eat just one. The rib form the other end is like a small roast by itself. The foodgasm nearly hit when I took my fisrt bite - the flavor was spot on. It had the kick I wanted from the Slap Ya Mama, and the JH Mojave Garlic Pepper is my favorite beef rub. Could have gone another 30 mins or so I think, but the ribs were still very tender. Even caliprince ate some, and he has only 25% of the teeth that I do! 

I loved this meal :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Of all places, have trouble finding decent beef ribs in Texas, go figure!  I can almost taste it but can't see it  =)
    edit: never mind, see the pictures now.
    canuckland
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Niiiiiice!  Beef ribs are awesome.

In my experience, HEB only has Beef Chuck Ribs (4 bone).  The ones that Travis and Legume were Plate Short Ribs (3 bones). 

I prefer plate short ribs.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a butcher that will trim the bones off a rib roast and leave some extra on for dino bones. I cook all my "prime rib" bones off so the bones were either for au jus or dino bones. SWMBO has asked for more beef rib and less roast - go figure. 

What is the JH Mojave Garlic Pepper, never noticed that John Henry flavour.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damnit Cali that's a most excellent cook!!   Wish I could find ribs like that around here.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options

@Canugghead - go figure. I don't have a real butcher nearby, and the stuff for sale in the meat section is a poor excuse for beef ribs. But now I know where to get 'em :)

@cazzy - how  do they compare in terms of taste/flavor? Are the plate ribs basically chuck ribs without the huge rib at the end, or minus the little one in the front?

@Mattman3969 - Thanks! I feel like I accomplished something today.

• caliking
    Options

@Skiddymarker - This is my favorite rub for brisket or any beef. I usually add the Slap Ya Mama Hot because I like the heat.

• cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

@Canugghead - go figure. I don't have a real butcher nearby, and the stuff for sale in the meat section is a poor excuse for beef ribs. But now I know where to get 'em :)

@cazzy - how  do they compare in terms of taste/flavor? Are the plate ribs basically chuck ribs without the huge rib at the end, or minus the little one in the front?

@Mattman3969 - Thanks! I feel like I accomplished something today.

Taste is much different.  They come from a different part of the cow and are richer.  You also get 3 usuable ribs where the chuck will usually give you 2-3 as 1-2 are usually riddled with fat.

Good article om the subject:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-but-pitmasters-dont/

Go to Killens and have his beef rib.  He does a great job with them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks awesome...what location did you score them?
    yet to cook beef ribs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Yes, I love me some beef ribs!  Great looking cook
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Nice looking cook!  I will look for that garlic rub.  I love pepper, salt, and garlic on beef.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I'm lucky that I can just buy bone in prime rib roasts to use at work and cut off the bones and take them home. Of course I don't take them with 3" of meat on them but cooking free ribs with a bit of meat plus the intercostals is good too. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Great score and cook.  FWIW I have started having success getting four bone (short) ribs at my Kroger.  The butcher(?) will go into their meat locker and get them.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    And where is the pic of Caliprince mowing down on one of those?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Look outstanding!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks great @caliking

that was Hap's post a week or so ago where he and Travis mentioned asking for these at Sam's. It worked for me, I got lucky and they had a cryo with only two racks in it.  I don't have room for four in my freezer right now.
  • caliking
    Options
    @cazzy - I was just thinking about  hitting Killen's soon since I'm in Pearland on Thursdays for work. I'll check it out.

• caliking
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks awesome...what location did you score them?
    yet to cook beef ribs.

Darian, this was the HEB in Pearland. The meat guy said that weekends are the best for finding the chuck ribs. They may run low if there is a sale on short ribs.

• caliking
    Options
    Nice looking cook!  I will look for that garlic rub.  I love pepper, salt, and garlic on beef.

Me too! I've tried DP Red Eye and Cow Lick, but keep going back to the JH.

• caliking
    Options
    @lousubcap - Kroger was going to be the next stop if I struck out at HEB. I was determined to find me some ribs yesterday!

• caliking
    Options

Man, it went down pretty fast. I was slow on the draw with a camera and missed it :)

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    caliking said:

Even caliprince ate some, and he has only 25% of the teeth that I do! 
    That's LOL right there.  Some good Flintstones eating right there, Cali!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:

Man, it went down pretty fast. I was slow on the draw with a camera and missed it :)

I went out and bought two racks of beef ribs after seeing your post this morning.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

I went out and bought two racks of beef ribs after seeing your post this morning.

They are addictive.

@cazzy - read that article, and now I get the difference. Makes sense anatomically -  since chuck ribs are closer to a major joint, they include more fat and tissue than plate ribs. And now I know to get the beef ribs by the pound at Killen's.

• cazzy
    Options
    @caliking

How bout your hometown boys bro?  Pearland was a wonderful representative of the Lone Star State in the Little League World Series!  So proud of those lil dudes!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice cook @caliking and interesting read @cazzy

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    My friend, that's quite a gasm! The whole meal. I learned a lot from this thread today. Thanks for starting it. Please try to include a picture of caliprince one of these days!
    Judy in San Diego