Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Taste Ribeye(s)

Options
The different taste is that The Spouse and Daughter #2 like theirs done and I like mine rare.  I have been working on a technique to be able to do this.  I had the XL at 500 and put theirs on indirect over a half stone 4 minutes before I put mine on.  In 5 minutes I put all over the flame for a few minutes, then put mine back over the stone for another couple of minutes.  Theirs turned out about medium rare and mine was nicely rare.  Next time I will give them a couple more minutes over the stone ahead.  It is a little hard to judge how my grocery store steaks will come out compared to these incredibly tender steaks I got as part of the package deal for my new XL from Wassi's.

Last pic is Monday lunch, I only ate about half my steak.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Timing seems pretty right on to me. However, like you stated each cut and marbeling being different will cause variations in doneness timing. FWIW it's all looks great man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Don't worry about timing to the minute because your steaks can rest for mich longer and still be excellent 

what i mean is a steak done sooner than you expected can sit for the extra few minutes it takes the next one. And then can all sit five or ten minutes more anyway
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Great looking meal.  In my short time as a BGE owner, ribeyes are the one thing that I have cooked the most times.  BTW I also have discovered that little gem to eggers, Wassi's.  In fact the other day your name came up in conversation as someone I should meet.  As best as I can tell we live about 6-8 miles apart.

And nice score on the XL today.  You can be sure that if I add to my XL and Med, Wassi's will be the place I go.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Posted inna wrong spot. NVM
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    A good steak on the Egg is a beautiful thing...another nice cook Doc.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking steak Doc :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Great looking meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Best lunch at your office!

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Off topic, is that an Egg half stone under the grate?  If so is it sitting on the fire ring or do you have some other type of support for it?  That is the ticket for indirect/direct I've been looking for on an Egg.  I looked at the Egg half stones at local dealer and they did not look like they would sit on ring?  And job well done on the steaks:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    AD18 said:
    Off topic, is that an Egg half stone under the grate?  If so is it sitting on the fire ring or do you have some other type of support for it?  That is the ticket for indirect/direct I've been looking for on an Egg.  I looked at the Egg half stones at local dealer and they did not look like they would sit on ring?  And job well done on the steaks:)
    It is a BGE stone.  They are pricy, but very heavy duty.  It is sitting on the bottom ring of a WOO from the Ceramic Grill Store.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys