Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Land Cruiser Experience

Options
LKNEgg
LKNEgg Posts: 339
Looking to pick up an older land cruiser, not really old classic, but 2000 to 2004 ish.  Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? I have read good reviews, but looking for any issues and what to look out for on a 10 to 15 year old vehicle. 
Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Can't really go wrong with a Toyota. Check for oil leaks though. They're drippers. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    Sometimes drippers areally the best!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Solid machines but they love their oil if they drip. I had a 74 fj that I'm still mad about selling.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    Looking to pick up an older land cruiser, not really old classic, but 2000 to 2004 ish.  Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? I have read good reviews, but looking for any issues and what to look out for on a 10 to 15 year old vehicle. 
    I'd hit up one or two of the LandCruiser forums (there's quite a few) for specifics on what to look out for and common pitfalls for those model years.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If and when you buy the Landcruiser, if you find yourself needing any parts for it, there's a place here in Chatsworth Ca called Spector Off Road, they have the most incredible supply of new and used parts in the nation.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Try to buy one get from someone who isn't a fanatic. I've seen a lot of over priced ones. Really shop it out and I'm sure you'll be able to find a deal. I would like to have one but I already have too many projects. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

as mentioned, get very familiar with the pros/cons of the specific model year you are interested in. The Land Cruiser Cult makes the Egghead cult look tame, so that means there is an abundance of information out there.

I still regret selling my 1989 FJ. I was a stupid 20something who got it from Dad as a hand-me-down and sold it for something "cooler". Lord, I was such an idiot kid.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad land cruiser, no vehicle is built as solidly as that one. Parts are built to hold up for 25 years or something.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got a Ford. A 1997 Expedition. I never have to complain about nothing to do, I am always working on it. 

Something you may wish to consider, most of the solid color vehicles, of that time, manufactured in Japan, typically had a "single stage" finish, meaning color only, no clear coat. Long term exposure to the sun will degrade the finish a bit faster than those with clear coat., simply because of more uV inhibitors with a clear. If that is a concern to you, find something other than white.
    Great vehicles, the search is most of the fun. Good Luck!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I second @SoCalTim about Spector off-road. They have a lot of money.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• LKNEgg
    Options
    Thanks everyone!  I am enjoying searching so far!  Appreciate the advise!  The LC will be a toy/project so I'm not overly concerned about looks.  I'll keep my daily driver since the gas mileage is only 14-15 mpg.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC