Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch chiles what now?

Options
ok so I was in Harris teeter earlier and the hey had hatch green chiles for $1.29 a pound. I grabbed about four pounds and need to figure out what is next??

I have never tasted them, so I broke a small piece off the end of one to taste. It seemed to taste like a regular green pepper. 

So so what should I do next with them???

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually roast them on a hot direct fire until they are blistered all over, then place in a ziploc and let them cool.  They should then be ready to peel the char off, take the stems and seeds out and consume.  I place sharp cheddar cheese inside and cook on a grill to melt the cheese.  Some like an egg wash deep fry method.  Great with eggs in the am and pico de gallo salsa in the pm.  Also you can take them from the fire and just place in food saver bags and freeze.  When you take them out of the freezer, the skin comes of easily. 

This site has lots of great chile recipes.

www.denvergreenchili.com

Looks like the site is having some temporary technical issues.  Tune in for the 11 pm report.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Yup, their flavor comes out best when they're cooked.  They don't freeze raw very well so your best bet is to use what you can while they're fresh and then roast/freeze whatever is left.  I freeze them and then put them in stews, gumbo, enchilada topping sauce, etc.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Definitely roast them. When doing so make sure the coals are hot and as close to the cooking grid as possible. The goal here is just to blister and char the skin, the less the meat of the chile is cooked the better. Good long tongs come in real handy as you will need to constantly rotate the chiles to get an even char. After that, 15 min in a brown paper bag or a ziplock type of bag to let them steam and further loosen the skin. Some even plunge them directly into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process and then to a bag for some time to sweat. It works and leads to a fresher/crisper chile but some say it can wash away some flavor. It's up to you. After all that it's peel and use or package for freezing.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    After you roast them, remember that the best burger in the world is a green chile cheeseburger, with good cheddar, good toasted bun, and one pepper either chopped or laid flat over the cheese.  Nothing better.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I have to work 24 hours tomorrow but maybe on Sunday I will have some time to roast them. Also I saw on wegmans website that next week they will be roasting hatch peppers near me. May have to try theirs also. 
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    I too bought into all the hype, bought about five pounds and roasted...... Incredible multi-layer flavor. I can't wait to enjoy in future dishes.
    XL times 2
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I have to work 24 hours tomorrow but maybe on Sunday I will have some time to roast them. Also I saw on wegmans website that next week they will be roasting hatch peppers near me. May have to try theirs also. 
    The fresher they are the better they roast. Flavor will be fine, it's just how the skins blister and peel. The earlier the easier.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    4 pounds? I am all in on this!!!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    About time to go get ours I guess fortunately living in Albuquerque we we get them roasted when buying then bag them up.  I don't even want think how long it would take to roast 60-70 lbs on an egg :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    ok so I was in Harris teeter earlier and the hey had hatch green chiles for $1.29 a pound. I grabbed about four pounds and need to figure out what is next??

I have never tasted them, so I broke a small piece off the end of one to taste. It seemed to taste like a regular green pepper. 

So so what should I do next with them???
    After you roast them bag them 7-10 to a freezer bag they will keep for along time.  I just found 3 bags in the freezer from 2013 and they are fine 

when you want to use them frozen. Open the bag put on a plate and microwave 4-6 minutes till they are thawed dump onto plate let cool till you can handle them (I always freeze skins on )

peel the skins off and rinse. They will retain more heat if you leave the seeds and veins in them. 

After peeling and and rinsing chop them up toss on a cheeseburger, make some green chile stew they are fantastic on eggs.  Can make salsa with them The recipes are endless. 

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    @firemanyz thanks for the post, just got back from Harris Teeter with 3 pounds to roast.  Thinking about adding a little bit of oak to add some smoke.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    For those of you in the mid Atlantic check out this schedule at wegmans for roasted peppers. I think I'm going to stop on Thursday on the way home and check it out. 

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&partNumber=EVENT_6766
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I got a bunch from Wegmans and I'm going to steal one of their ideas, they basically made pimento cheese, only using roasted hatches instead of pimentos.  It is phenomenal, and I will definitely be doing that with some of the ones in my freezer!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Acn said:
    I got a bunch from Wegmans and I'm going to steal one of their ideas, they basically made pimento cheese, only using roasted hatches instead of pimentos.  It is phenomenal, and I will definitely be doing that with some of the ones in my freezer!
    Everything Wegmans does with the Hatch peppers is great. Last year at the Frederick location they added the peppers to the crab dip pretzels. OH MY.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    How big is a case of hatch chiles
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    How big is a case of hatch chiles
    A box is typically equal to one bushel or close to #25. Depending on who packages them. They can be bought in larger doses such as a gunny sack full.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Are they that different than Anaheim. They look very similar. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Jstroke There are minuscule differences. 
    http://www.red-or-green.net/anaheim-peppers/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Thanks. Makes sense. Soil and climate play a big part. Just like Wine
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Are they that different than Anaheim. They look very similar. 
    In my experience (lived in NM 5 years) same difference as Oregon vs Washington apples.  I think the growing season (heat/rain) made a much larger difference.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jstroke
    Options
    Hmmmm might get a case. I like the sound of this.