Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control

Options
At high temps, I'm having some temp control problems resulting in some bitter/smoky food.
When making pizza, I want to get to ~700, but its hard to hold that temperature consistent.
Any thoughts on how to manage this?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    IMO, 700 is probably way too hot for pizza, most guys here are between 450 and 550 maybe 600. The more sugar in the dough, the lower the temp.

As far as bitter smoke, if you let your stone warm up for at least 30 minutes if not an hour, that shouldn't be an issue.

If you are intent on holding 700 thou, take the Daisy wheel off and control the temp on the bottom, I'd start about half way open and take it from there.

Remember, you tell the egg what to do, it doesn't tell you what to do. Good Luck.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    700º is not too hot for pizza, if you are cooking a Neapolitan style pizza. But you better have a dough that is designed for that temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    700º is not too hot for pizza, if you are cooking a Neapolitan style pizza. But you better have a dough that is designed for that temp.
    And if your not cooking Neapolitan style, it is  ... right?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It is on the low end for Neapolitan. It is a good temp for NY style as well, but you can get good NY at lower.  It is too hot for typical American style, which is the bulk of what is discussed around here.  Way too hot for any of the thick crust styles.  Important to match the style and dough with the cooking temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.