Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

like Alton Brown or not, this simple suggestion may save you from PAIN!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    It's the simple things in this world that make our lives better. Thanks for sharing. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Nice idea. Only time I really make anything requiring a water bath is when I make cheesecake. Tongs aren't big enough for that.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    You can also use a jar lifter that you might have for canning.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    edited August 2015
    I think my Orca mitt would let me grab such items as well..
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Who doesn't like Alton Brown?
    Me. And I don't like you either ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    SGH said:
    Just for clarity, I'm only kidding above. Nola is my very favorite on the forum. He gives me free food =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    SGH said:
    So is that being sardonic or facetious?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have used that set up for years, it is a totally functional answer for water aided cooks, and soup crocs as well. Think onion soup, with melted prov. I have also used them for roasted garlic pots.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I make a custard that way.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    I miss Good Eats.  I wish they would start making those again.  Maybe Alton has better things to do now, I dunno.

Maybe a little OT here but I sure wish Food Network would go back to airing some real cook shows during normal viewing hours.  I'm tired of all these reality cooking shows - Food Network Star, Cutthroat Kitchen, Kids Baking Championship, etc.  The only cooking shows they have anymore seem to be aired on Saturday morning.  I end up watching the ones on PBS more than the Food Network because their personalities are better and they don't try to make the shows into a circus.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • I like Chopped because the chefs must be creative and have the skills to pull it off.  I also like Cutthroat Kitchen because it's devious fun.  The rest I can do without.  The Cooking Channel has Good Eats reruns.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Great idea! I've always liked watching him and my kids do too.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    jimithing said:
    ...I sure wish Food Network would go back to airing some real cook shows during normal viewing hours.  I'm tired of all these reality cooking shows - Food Network Star, Cutthroat Kitchen, Kids Baking Championship, etc.  The only cooking shows they have anymore seem to be aired on Saturday morning.  I end up watching the ones on PBS more than the Food Network because their personalities are better and they don't try to make the shows into a circus.
    This ^^^. And the pitmaster shows as well. Watched the first couple, but that was more than enough. I don't even know what shows are on food network any more. I gave up watching long ago. I actually miss Emeril Live!! :)

As for uh AB, he's uh okay I uh guess. Uh, but his uh schtick gets uh old.

Thanks, Ron. Guess I'll have to stop snipping the rubber bands off my asparagus. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jimithing said:
    I miss Good Eats.  I wish they would start making those again.  Maybe Alton has better things to do now, I dunno.

Maybe a little OT here but I sure wish Food Network would go back to airing some real cook shows during normal viewing hours.  I'm tired of all these reality cooking shows - Food Network Star, Cutthroat Kitchen, Kids Baking Championship, etc.  The only cooking shows they have anymore seem to be aired on Saturday morning.  I end up watching the ones on PBS more than the Food Network because their personalities are better and they don't try to make the shows into a circus.
    I grew up on the PBS shows. Good reason Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, and Martin Yan are my favorite TV chefs.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    Just for clarity, I'm only kidding above. Nola is my very favorite on the forum. He gives me free food =)
    But does that mean you still hate Alton??? Why would anybody be hating on Alton??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @SGH only watches WWF and soap operas.
    Love me AB. That guy is great. Sorry his show isn't n anymore.  That is how I first learned yo trim a whole beef tenderloin.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    HeavyG said:
    But does that mean you still hate Alton??? 
    No sir I do not. I like just about everyone who likes to cook and eat. 

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    jimithing said:

Haven't watched food network in years.  Like Fred, Chopped was the only show I watched towards the end.  

Not sure if you've got Netflix.  But lately, we've been watching Bourdain's Mind of a Chef, and another show Chef's Table.  Not a fan of Bourdain, but love his show.  Some intriguing and inspiring episodes.  They cover it all:  bbq, curing, country hams, pickling, canning, miso, etc etc.  Some fascinating techniques on cooking, preservation, fermentation, and unique chef personalities.  Watched a couple of episodes with Sweden's Chef Magnus Nilsson, Chef David Chang and Chef Sean Brock getting wasted at Pappy plant, Low Country boil and whole hog bbq in SC.  Chef Mallmann in Argentina cooking over live fire.  Cool stuff with peeps that truly know their stuff. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."